Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was stopped the other night about 1 mile from my house by a PA cop because he said my headlights were "too blue". I wasn't speeding or anything. I have HIDs, 7,000k (slight blueish tint). Problem is, my license was suspended in PA for a refusal to test, DUI (I wasn't drinking, but the cop told me I didn't have to take any tests, so I didn't and got royally F*!ked).

However, in the process I moved to Maryland and was able to get a Maryland drivers license. I showed the cop my MD license and he never would have known about my PA suspension, but he asked why my bike was registered in PA and I told him I used to live in PA (the bike was still up at my parents house in PA). He ran my social security number and saw my PA suspension.

I know it was stupid to ride in PA. But now I might be facing 3 months in jail!! Also, I am in the ARD program (PA's safe driving program), that upon completion I would not have anything on my perminent record, but I might loose that as well and have this on my perminent record.

I just graduated from college and I can't let my future get ruined by this one mistake. I know there are a lot of cops on this board or others of you that may have had a similar sittuation, so any advice you could give me in this sittuation would be much appriciated.

The cop said he could drop it from a Class B to a Class A, so there wouldn't be jail time, but I'm not sure how all of that works.

Thanks for the help guys!

N

·
0 Posts
Now this is the time when I'd get a lawyer if I were you.

FWIW, keep your bike stock. Saves yourself all the possible headaches...know what I mean?

·
The AC (Ambidextrous Club) Unite! #001
1,866 Posts
You need to get yourself a good lawyer. It's amazing how one little mistake can f*ck up your life. I think the majority of us have been there. I'm still regretting one dumb ass mistake I made over 5-6 yrs ago. Good luck man! I really hope it goes your way!

·
Registered
46 Posts
yeah, get a lawyer... It is illegal in PA to modify any lighting from OEM spec.

·
Registered
229 Posts
jesus christ man wtf??? i dont know what to say but wat the hell!!! that is so god dam unlucky getting in that much trouble just because ur headlights were to blue!. where i live if that happened to me id just get a warning max. dam man hope u get out of this well and gl

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
don't worry about it. i got arrested twice for driving related hooliganisms in the past. as long as they're of the low class misdemeanor, your future employers won't look at that. believe me i worked at jp morgan chase couple years later without a problem. besides, when you go to court, these charges get dropped anyway. slap on the wrist. have your lawyer talk to the DA. if you have decent GPA, show that to the DA as well.

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
5,051 Posts
Uh, bro, not to be a jerk, but you shouldn't have thought that you could have ducked the law for all that time. Whether it be PA cops or MD cops, eventually the suspension would have showed up. And you would have been in trouble. You shouldn't be riding/driving on any sort of suspension. Sorry, don't mean to be a jerk, but breaking the law is breaking the law. Oh, +1 on the lawyer; hopefully, you'll get it reduced.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
i was busted for driving with suspended license in NY state twice. Once for suspended license and the second time was for driving with revoked license. They were both Friday nights. If I remember correctly, they're Class E misdemeanor charges when you get cuffed but both got dropped during the arraignment Sunday afternoon. I think I paid $80 court fee each time. No lawyer on neither. I didn't even need to explain or plead or nothing. Maybe i was lucky, you should definitely get a lawyer involved. my experience in the ny state is defintely not a legal advice.

·
Registered
68 Posts
ok ....im a PA cop myself about an hour north of west chester.....driving under suspension will get you a $281.50 fine and another year of suspension added to ur present term...and if im not mistaken your ARD might be revoked...when you are thinking about obtaining a lawyer you might want to consider this.....ive had numerous hearings on driving under suspensions and its pretty cut and dry, your either under suspension or your not....the only way to beat it in a hearing is to prove that the reason for the stop was invalid which from the sound of your stop it sounds legal so you probably dont have much to stand on..."knowing" that someone is suspended is a valid reason to stop a car, since there are alot of "regulars" that drive under suspension all the time. By all means if you feel you have a chance try and plead not guilty but Im just giving you this info because i dont wanna see ya waste your money on a lawyer and still have to pay a fine anyway...hope it helps

·
Ducati Champion Del Mondo
7,847 Posts
Since I know X, I would take his advice but don't turst the cop that pulled you over. I have had cops tell me stuff before that this or that was not going to happen, it did.

Good Luck.
Jason

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys. I'll let you know what happend.

"not to make things worse, but didn't MD question whether your license is currently suspended in another state? i thought all states had reciprocity now..."

Yes, they did ask me in Maryland, but my PA license was not yet suspended when I moved to Maryland.

For X -
The cop said that it would either be B or A class. B class is 90 days jail and $5,000 fine. If he drops it to A, it is only $1,000 fine. But in either case, I am worried that I might loose my ARD and this will be on my perminent record. What class only gets $281 fine? This is for a DUI suspended license.

Any other advice other than to get a good lawyer? (and obviously not to drive anymore)

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
14 Posts
so just a question from an aussie, each state there has their own licence, but if suspended in one state u'r not aloud to drive there but can in other states ?

here in oz, each state has their own licence and testing but it's one licence for the whole country, loose it in victoria and u cant drive anywhere in australia,

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
its like that in the states as well, if you would have read, he said he got the other license before the pa license got suspended, atleast thats what i understood from it anyways

1 - 17 of 17 Posts