Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys (and Gals)... So I'm going to be putting up the bike for a couple months as I am having neck / spine surgery. My question is - is it good / bad to park the bike using front and rear stands, lifting the tires off the ground and removing the weight from the suspension? Thanks, - Red

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I store mine like that all the time. If its only going to only be for a couple of months, you still might want to at least put some fuel stabilizer in the tank and disconnect the battery.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Red, if you have stands use them definitely not gonna hurt your bike and its better to keep your tires from flat spots if you know you arnt gonna use it.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I'm sure there is a long term storage thread here somewhere but I'm too lazy to look, lol. Definitely use the stands if you have them. Disconnect the battery. (Edited to fix failadvice.) Leave it with a full tank and use an appropriate amount of fuel stabilizer so that when you go to ride it again, your injectors aren't gunked. If leaving it for a really long time I think you're supposed to pull all the plugs and put a drop of oil in each cylinder, then reinstall the plugs. Might want to research that one though...

Good luck in surgery dude!

·
Registered
420 Posts
I store mine like that all the time. If its only going to only be for a couple of months, you still might want to at least put some fuel stabilizer in the tank and disconnect the battery.
What does the fuel stabilizer do? and how long is it good to keep on the stands like that? does it hurt the bike if you dont use any fuel stabilizer, because I'm just now getting my bike back together after my accident that happened last year on 5/31/09 so my bike has been down for most of that time, I had alot of fuel left also, but since im now getting things back together Im riding around my apartment complex and the block i live on just where there is no cops so I dont get a ticket havent had a plate on since the disassemble. but can anyone tell me anything more about how that stuff works and why you use it? Thanks

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
There is nothing wrong with storing the bike on stands so long as someone doesn't knock it over. A couple or few months sitting in Cali, you won't need fuel stabilizer.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
What does the fuel stabilizer do? and how long is it good to keep on the stands like that? does it hurt the bike if you dont use any fuel stabilizer, because I'm just now getting my bike back together after my accident that happened last year on 5/31/09 so my bike has been down for most of that time, I had alot of fuel left also, but since im now getting things back together Im riding around my apartment complex and the block i live on just where there is no cops so I dont get a ticket haven't had a plate on since the disassemble. but can anyone tell me anything more about how that stuff works and why you use it? Thanks
You usually want to fill the tank to the top. This is to prevent condensation in the tank when temperatures change. It usually only happens if you leave your bike outside for long periods of time, say months. The constant temp changes from day to night are the concern. In a garage its not as big a deal since the temp changes will be more modest.

The fuel stabilizer keeps the fuel from degrading and "gunking" up. The gunk can clog injectors and make the bike run klunky (if that's the right word). If you're bikes left for say 3 months its fine, but leaving it for 6+ months I would highly recommend stabilizer.

·
Registered
499 Posts
You usually want to fill the tank to the top. This is to prevent condensation in the tank when temperatures change. It usually only happens if you leave your bike outside for long periods of time, say months. The constant temp changes from day to night are the concern. In a garage its not as big a deal since the temp changes will be more modest.
+100000. Do NOT store it with a near empty tank. Worst advise I have ever seen.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
I'm sure there is a long term storage thread here somewhere but I'm too lazy to look, lol. Definitely use the stands if you have them. Disconnect the battery. Leave little fuel in the tank and use an appropriate amount of fuel stabilizer so that when you go to ride it again, you can fill it up with a bunch of new fuel. If leaving it for a really long time I think you're supposed to pull all the plugs and put a drop of oil in each cylinder, then reinstall the plugs. Might want to research that one though...

Good luck in surgery dude!
the red, is dead wrong, STORE WILL A FULL TANK, a mostly empty tank is a sure fire way to get tank rust -- and a great way to allow a ton of water in the tank via condensation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts