Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every year a group of my friends ride from Red Bluff, Ca to Eureka, Ca. on 36 http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/Highway36.htm
then hook into the 1 all the way to Laguna Seca for the WSBK/ AMA races. I have had the pleasure to do this ride with them and.....WOW. These guys have been riding all there lives, some 35+years. Very experienced. Well this year they took a newbie. 50 years old and his first bike.....a RC51????? They did some test rides with him and he checked out. Well on 36 he runs wide and tumbles down(bike and all) a cliff face till a tree stops him 20 feet down. 2 hours of pulling the bike up by 5 guys they are on the road again. That night they hazed a little but really talked to him and stessed the importance of riding within your limits. Next day just outside Ft. Bragg on 1 he ran wide agian on a 20mph right hander and into a 1960 Chevrolet(heavy iron) also doing 20mph. He made the RC look like a pretzel and taco'd the front of the truck. So he now has probably about a year or more of rehab, shattered leg, arm and head trauma. The reason why I bring this up is theres a guy at work looking into buying his first bike and people are trying to convince him the 1000RR is the bike he needs. Their theory is that he'll be bored with the "lack" of power of the 600's!!! PLEASE! My 600 still can scare the crap out of me and I've been riding the 600 class for 10 years. All you guys here that are looking at buying use your head, not the testosterone when buying and christ sake take MSF!

C

·
0 Posts
Sorry to hear about your friend.

Me and two other guys had to push a 636 up a 30' steep cliff/hill after he went off into the riverbed. Not fun.

Wow 2 accidents in two days...
Was he riding by himself? What gear did he have on.

Yeah 600 is pleanty of bike unless you always ride two up or if you weigh 300lbs!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hey.. who are your friends from Red Bluff? Just wondering if I have ridden with them... I went to high school in Red Bluff almost 10 yrs ago, and have a few friends there that ride. Most of the guys we get together with are from Redding though. Ask them about Gary Killian from Los Molinos if they are from that area. -Josh

·
Registered
262 Posts
Oh, and I live just off hwy 36, off of Bowman rd. The one that ties into 36. Heading back to Red Bluff from there is one hell of a roller coaster ride- trouble is, that the cattle trucks heading back into town have to use the shoulders to make their turns, and they scatter gravel thru the best sections ARRRRRRRRRRrgggggh! Haven't been riding much lately- kind of a waste since this road is right near me.

·
Registered
111 Posts
When I was shopping for my first bike, I was told to get a 1000 by some more experienced riders. They told me that it is better to get the bike that I want than to upgrade later when a 600 feels sluggish. I felt it was safer to stick with a 600. It actually felt safer for me to not get a sports bike. So I went and bought a Ducati Monster 620ie. Riding experience wise, I think this was the best dicision for me. Never dropped it! My second best descision was to upgrade the Monster to the rr. Mayber next year a 1000rr.
Ride within your limits and get a bike that you can handle, please!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts