Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my bike for about 14 months now and when riding yesterday heard a strange buzzing noise that I hadn't heard before. It isn't very loud and doesn't happen all the time so difficult to know what it is but it seems mainly at around 4-6k revs.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks omgg
the noise sounds like something up the front end, almost like air running through the airbox but it isn't, it is a low down buzz almost like a bee stuck somewhere but doesn't happen all the time, very strange but as I am off to Le Mans to watch the Moto GP in 2 weeks I am concerned.
Your advice please?

While I am at it I have always had a problem with my gears, they are clunky and going down through the box is not very positive at times, what am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
7 Posts
The buzzing noise is either A. worn piece of rubber between fairings B loose bolt

It buzzes at that range because that is the highest point in the sound freq.

·
Registered
379 Posts
i might have the same thing mines a 06 with 1800 miles on it. at 4500 and 5500 rpm is sounds like there is a card in my spoke like if i was riding a bmx bike. Not sure what it is.. i left for iraq before i figuredit out

·
Registered
939 Posts
Do you wear earplugs? If not, use them, the rev range you mention is the start of the frequency kick.
I used to suffer but defend against it. It's just a possibility....I know plenty of older guys who suffer because of the 1000's of miles not using earplugs.
http://www.freehearingtest.com/hia_motorcyclefacts.shtml

·
Registered
116 Posts
Mine made a buzz around 5k RPM also, turned out it was just the key. I just use a heavy rubber key chain and problem solved!

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have had my bike for about 14 months now and when riding yesterday heard a strange buzzing noise that I hadn't heard before. It isn't very loud and doesn't happen all the time so difficult to know what it is but it seems mainly at around 4-6k revs.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Cheers
Paul
It's your third eye light up front vibrating against the base of the windshield. This is very common on the newer 600rr's. There's a little foam in there but it isn't enough. Get some thin packing foam and put it in the gap between the top of the third eye and under the windshield (you may have to take the windshield off, I found some thin sheet foam and was able to just slide it in. The buzzing is gone.)

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
^^^ Yup, thats usually the cause and solution.

My windscreen started buzzing again this year after putting some packing inbetween the 3rd eye and windscreen a year ago. I guess the packing got squished enough that it started buzzing again.

The easy way to find out if that's whats causing the problem is to take the bike out for a spin and push down on the windscreen just above the 3rd eye when the buzzing starts. If it stops when you put pressure on it then you've found it.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
The buzzing you hear is actually the plastic cover that holds down your ecu. If you remove your tank cover you will see it. Its black and is directly above your airbox. Yes, the buzz usually happens around 6K rpm. I took some extra flooring pad (thin stuff) I had and put it between the ecu and the plastic cover, then laid down the duct tape over the whole thing. Problem fixed. Im almost positive this will be the buzzing you hear. Its either the ecu cover vibrating off the tank cover or the actual ecu. Good luck! ...... Like was mentioned above ^^ ... try pushing down on the recessed portion of the tank in front of the filler cap and see if thats the problem.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The buzzing you hear is actually the plastic cover that holds down your ecu. If you remove your tank cover you will see it. Its black and is directly above your airbox. Yes, the buzz usually happens around 6K rpm. I took some extra flooring pad (thin stuff) I had and put it between the ecu and the plastic cover, then laid down the duct tape over the whole thing. Problem fixed. Im almost positive this will be the buzzing you hear. Its either the ecu cover vibrating off the tank cover or the actual ecu. Good luck! ...... Like was mentioned above ^^ ... try pushing down on the recessed portion of the tank in front of the filler cap and see if thats the problem.

I have the exact same scenario! Around the 6K mark it buzzzzzzzzzzes very annoyingly. I bought my bike new and it started the noise around the 400 kilometres. Pushing down on the recessed portion of the tank makes it stop. Is taking the tank cover off easy? Im sure there's a 'How to' on this forum somewhere.

JG

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
^^ Ya dude, its pretty easy. What year is your RR? im gonna guess 05'/06' ?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think from looking at the Puig DB topic that this is the problem but I have now tightened the plastic screws round the screen and hopefully this will cure it but I will also press on the tank in front of the filler cap as suggested and see if that makes any difference; thanks very much for the advice.
I will keep you posted :0)

·
Registered
370 Posts
It's your third eye light up front vibrating against the base of the windshield. This is very common on the newer 600rr's. There's a little foam in there but it isn't enough. Get some thin packing foam and put it in the gap between the top of the third eye and under the windshield (you may have to take the windshield off, I found some thin sheet foam and was able to just slide it in. The buzzing is gone.)
Actually I do face this buzzing problem...only happen during certain rpms...haven't got the chance to troubleshoot it.

Will definitely do this 3rd eye extra cushioning..hope its solve the buzz

Mine is 08'

·
Registered
370 Posts
I think from looking at the Puig DB topic that this is the problem but I have now tightened the plastic screws round the screen and hopefully this will cure it but I will also press on the tank in front of the filler cap as suggested and see if that makes any difference; thanks very much for the advice.
I will keep you posted :0)
Me too...tightened all the plastics screws round the screen...but the buzz still there

·
Registered
454 Posts
Me too...tightened all the plastics screws round the screen...but the buzz still there
Just tightening the windshield probably won't do it, if it is the third eye it needs foam in there. While riding reach over the top of the windshield and press the front of it down. If that stops the buzzing you need to put foam between it and the third eye.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts