Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a video because I'm really bad at describing issues with my bike. There is this faint knocking/clicking in the background that worries me... Can someone tell me what it is?? It's More apparent during cold starts, and when my bike is hot it is less obvious, if at all.

The noise I'm talking about is most apparent in the first 3 seconds after I started the bike in the video. Sounds like some sort of knock.

By the way it's a 2003 cbr600rr with 14.5k km on it and the only mod is a jardines slipon.

http://db.tt/EyioJdu

The video is uploaded via iPhone onto dropbox server, first time using it dunno if it'll work or not. Please help, I don't know if I should keep riding it or not.

Thanks,
Jo

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
I took a video because I'm really bad at describing issues with my bike. There is this faint knocking/clicking in the background that worries me... Can someone tell me what it is?? It's More apparent during cold starts, and when my bike is hot it is less obvious, if at all.

The noise I'm talking about is most apparent in the first 3 seconds after I started the bike in the video. Sounds like some sort of knock.

By the way it's a 2003 cbr600rr with 14.5k km on it and the only mod is a jardines slipon.

http://db.tt/EyioJdu

The video is uploaded via iPhone onto dropbox server, first time using it dunno if it'll work or not. Please help, I don't know if I should keep riding it or not.

Thanks,
Jo
sounds like your cct ( cam chain tensioner ) to me.

take a look at this thread:
http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=135386

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Sounds like your cct on its way out, it should be more apparent where the tool box is...

The APE tensioner is good, but not my preference... have a look in my sig for a how to on replacing it with another stock one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like your cct on its way out, it should be more apparent where the tool box is...

The APE tensioner is good, but not my preference... have a look in my sig for a how to on replacing it with another stock one.
For some reason the dealer is quoting me 2 and a half hour to replace the cam chain tensioner with a stock one. Is this normal? It looks like a really easy job to me.

·
Registered
444 Posts
yeah I get the same thing, I guess it might be time for me to replace it..

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Actually this is not uncommon. My '04 does this when the oil has broken down and needs changing or when I use an oil with lower viscosity retention. The CCT is at the very top of the oil loop system and it sometimes can run dry for a few seconds if your oil is bad, especially on cold starts. Try changing the oil before changing the CCT. If you can rev the bike and the tapping goes away then the CCT was just dry.

PS I have 28k miles on this bike....

·
Registered
601 Posts
For some reason the dealer is quoting me 2 and a half hour to replace the cam chain tensioner with a stock one. Is this normal? It looks like a really easy job to me.
I don't know if 2.5 hours is normal, however that translates to $200+ just in labor.

Are you comfortable with working on your bike? If so, I think you could do it yourself.

GL

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Actually this is not uncommon. My '04 does this when the oil has broken down and needs changing or when I use an oil with lower viscosity retention. The CCT is at the very top of the oil loop system and it sometimes can run dry for a few seconds if your oil is bad, especially on cold starts. Try changing the oil before changing the CCT. If you can rev the bike and the tapping goes away then the CCT was just dry.

PS I have 28k miles on this bike....
You make a good point here...

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
2.5 hours is WAY too long. 1 hour tops is what it should take to do the cct. Don't pay them to do it, just do it yourself. DIY it is likely to take 1.5-2 hours.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Sometimes on a cold start, the valves haven't expanded yet and there's more clearance, thus you get a slight solid knocking sound until it warms up in a few minutes. Also, as they said, oil breakdown or the improper oil weight (or cheaper car oil) can make it sound that way.

My 2006RR makes a knocking noise that has been traced to the cam chain tensioner and after a minute or two of warm up it goes away (fresh synth oil). I assume the oil jets just need a little time and warmin gup the oil to squirt it on the CCT to quiet it down. But, as noted, the CCT seems to go out on these models more than others so I'm keeping an eye on it and will replace it if it gets way noisy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts