Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello :)
I have strange noise from front sprocket,you can hear on youtube video below.
Before the hearing as unlubricated noise (more grrrr noise),from the sprocket, now that I have lube(front sprocket center and chain) hear a milder as the video clip.
Chain is tight (3-4cm slack),not too tight or lose.
Maybe it's normal, maybe I did not notice before this noise.

Old noise (more grr :) ):

New noise,sound like lubed part but :

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I've heard the "old noice" on mine as well, not sure what it is. In terms of the "new noise", well...it doesn't sound healthy.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Chain is tight, and is probably at the end of it's life?

knocking indicates tight chain.

or tight spots.

spin wheel rapidly and watch for jumping links on/off the sprockets

Bike history?

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Your chain is WAY too tight to start with and I'm assuming the wheel is not running true either. Sounds like the chain is rubbing on the swingarm as well, might be a worn chain guide.

I tried watching the second video and have zero idea what it's showing audio wise or video wise. Also agree we need an idea of mileage on the chain, size and sprocket count to go much further.

Start with loosening your chain a bunch and checking the rubber guide it rests in as it passes over the top of the swingarm to be sure it's not worn through. Then properly clean the system and lube it, see how that goes.

Edit: chain looks stock as do the sprockets. Also be sure the noise isn't the chain hitting the engine case or the frame under the swingarm m

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sounds pretty abnormal to me. I would suggest taking the chain off the front sprocket and rotating it (with a socket on a T bar) to see if the noise still appears as that would eliminate any suspicions of transmission gear or bearing related fault. Take the spocket off the output shaft and inspect teeth for excessive wear or bendages - hard to tell if teeth are bent when looking at it axially.. And like others have mentioned it looks like your chain is way too tight! If its been this way for too long it wouldn't surprise me if the output shaft bearing on the transmission is pitted. I'd start there good luck!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today I record video of chain slack and front sprocket rotating with hand.
Chain is lil lose,whole lenght, bike have 23600km and chain too.

·
Registered
195 Posts
From the video, it looked like the chain is too tight. 23k km shouldn't be too many on the stock chain unless it has been ridden hard the whole time.
I agree with tezwa. Take the chain off and spin the front sprocket. That will tell you if it's transmission or chain.

It sounds to me like the chain is just too tight and it's binding. Try adjusting things and see if it changes. Alignment, tension...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Sounds pretty abnormal to me. I would suggest taking the chain off the front sprocket and rotating it (with a socket on a T bar) to see if the noise still appears as that would eliminate any suspicions of transmission gear or bearing related fault. Take the spocket off the output shaft and inspect teeth for excessive wear or bendages - hard to tell if teeth are bent when looking at it axially.. And like others have mentioned it looks like your chain is way too tight! If its been this way for too long it wouldn't surprise me if the output shaft bearing on the transmission is pitted. I'd start there good luck!
This guy sounds right about your problem...

And dude the chain slack is way too tight like seriously I can imagine it snapping off bending teeths and God knows what else.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yesterday I watched what was going on, it seems that the chain rests on the plastic of the sprockets and to make this sound. (you can see at new video below)
I lose chain, such that less hear buzzing.
I lube chain with some bad spray Fuchs (without teflon),tomorrow I will buy motul c4,and lube chain again and see whether there is noise.
I made the chain has more slack, about 4cm from the subframe.
It's ok?

and

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
I made the chain has more slack, about 4cm from the subframe.
It's ok?
The slack has to be measured like this:

And not from the swingarm!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You move the chain up and down in the middle between the rear and front sprockets.

That space between the highest and the lowest the chain can be has to be 4cm (more or less)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello :)
I have strange noise from front sprocket,you can hear on youtube video below.
Before the hearing as unlubricated noise (more grrrr noise),from the sprocket, now that I have lube(front sprocket center and chain) hear a milder as the video clip.
Chain is tight (3-4cm slack),not too tight or lose.
Maybe it's normal, maybe I did not notice before this noise.

Old noise (more grr :) ):
@RRdriver

Did you figured out the reason of this ticking sound ?

I cleaned chain and sprocket cover in my 929 and have exactly the same sound like yours. I was looking thru web for similar issue and bang, i found this thread.

Chain slack is ok, alingment is ok. What is common in our both bikes is exaclty the same, OE sprocket as on your video.

I am wondering if the mystery was solved?

Cheers,

Piotr

1 - 11 of 11 Posts