Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for the past few weeks i've been hearing a strange sort of grinding noise on the left hand side of the bike (2005 cbr600rr). I can't hear it when the bike is idling only when riding, when i pull in the clutch the noise goes so i presume it's nothing to do with chain slack/drag. It seem to be when the bike is in gear wheather the throttle is open or closed.

Any help welcome it's driving me :banghead:.
oh yes the bike itself is running fine, and has just had an oil change.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
been thinking about my last post, starting to think it might be the cct.
but would this make a noise with the clutch in?

D

·
0 Posts
If you're using energy conserving oil, it could noise from the clutch slipping.

D

·
0 Posts
Energy conserving oils have additives in them which are not good for wet clutch systems. Those additives are friction inhibitors, and since clutches rely on friction...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good point didn't think of that.
What's your thoughts on the cam chain tensioner, iv'e read on here about installing manual ones.

D

·
0 Posts
Doubt it'd be the CCT. If it were, pulling the clutch in wouldn't make the noise go away. I'm thinking it's something with the clutch since the noise only happens in gear with the clutch released while there is a load on it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have to admit basic maintenance i'm ok with but a novice with the tech stuff.
The mileage on the bike is about 15,000 so it is overdue for the 12,000 service, i'll send it in and see how it comes back.

Thanks for your input.

D

·
0 Posts
12k service is just inspecting the air filter, evap system, brake pads, and clutch system (might be worn anyway), and replacing the brake fluid. Cheaper to do it yourself if you can.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts