Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to rent a van to transport my bike to the track but I have never tied down my bike before so I don't know how.
I need to first of all get a ramp, foldable preferably and straps, I already have some ratchet straps and handle bar straps from R&G Racing that I got free with some other things I bought from them.
Can someone please advise me or let me know what you have to tie a bike down to a van or trailer?
Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
152 Posts
what kind of van are you renting? Does it have anchors for the straps?

you should rent a truck. easier to load and strap down.

ratchet type straps are a pain in the butt. Just buy 4 cam lock straps from harbor freight and wrap your handlebar straps on the grips. then hook the straps to the truck and tighten down.

you want to load the forks so the bike will not bounce and move. find a good spot to secure the rear to keep it from shifting left/right.

If using cam lock straps, just tie a knot with the slack end of the strap to the buckle to keep the strap from loosening if it slips.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Ratchet can be a pain in the ass, but it's the best way to compress the front down. It's a lot of work to pull a cam down that tight. Whatever you rent make sure you have good tie down points.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am from England so I am not sure about some of terminology but thanks for the replies.
The van's I have looked at have good anchor points in 6 places on the floor so just need to find a good ramp and straps now and figure out where to tie the bike down from to not mark the bike.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I am from England so I am not sure about some of terminology but thanks for the replies.
Bloody hell, I thought you Brits invented English!?! J/K

Canyon Dancers - attach to the grips and they have loops you use to attach the strap so you can tighten the front down. Don't know if they sell these in Europe.

Ratchet Straps - they have ratchet action so that you can tighten down the straps by operating the ratchet handle back and forth. Positive lock so you know the strap won't get loose during transport. More expensive then cam type.

Cam Straps - no ratchet action to tighten down the strap you just need to pull one end of the strap till it gets tight enough. It's harder to tighten them down as far as the ratchet ones and can also get loose, no positive lock on them, but they are cheaper. Good to hold the rear down.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for that.
I just wasnt sure of what canyon dancers and cam straps were but I now know, I already have canyon dancer/handle bar straps from R&G and ratchet straps but I still need a good ramp and then learn how to wheel the bike up it into a van.
Thanks for your help

1 - 9 of 9 Posts