Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The story is that when I was replacing the clutch cover last year I accidentally over tightened the cap ( I know.... a stupid mistake). So now it's almost time to insure my baby but the cap is bothering me tremendously. I already have the replacement part but I can't even attempt to turn the ratchet or else it'll just get worst. Any idea on how to tackle this? Anything advice would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seeing that it's aluminum I don't want to use vice grips because if it doesn't work the bolt will get worst haha. Anyone have any experience with the Irwin bolt-grip?

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
at this point.....anything you try will make it look worse!

3 suggestions.....

1: vise grips

2: try a pipe wrench?

3: buy a cheap socket and epoxy it to cover, let it set, remove.

ps: six point sockets have a tighter fit than 12 points.........

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ill try a bolt extractor tool first and if that doesn't work definitely #3! If this doesn't get replaced soon I'll be riding with a hurt ego. :banghead:

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
When you find stuff that doesn't work like you want them to... Hitting them hard is algo a very good option! hahahaha (not being ironical!)

Have you tried with the most typical wrench??

·
Registered
501 Posts
pull the whole engine cover off, drill a hole in the cap but not the center of it and use a screwdriver and hammer to get it loose, then buy a new one and put some anti cease on the threads when putting it on.

Reactions: harry-nyc

·
Registered
501 Posts
bolt extractor doesnt work, ive had this happen twice. the aluminum is too soft and a typical wrench or vice grips dont fit around in the small space around the nut

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bolt extractor doesnt work, ive had this happen twice. the aluminum is too soft and a typical wrench or vice grips dont fit around in the small space around the nut
So how did you end up getting it off? LOL

·
Registered
186 Posts
I would also try what d1 said, if the aluminum is too soft for that then I would have to say go with the #3 idea.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
pull the whole engine cover off, drill a hole in the cap but not the center of it and use a screwdriver and hammer to get it loose, then buy a new one and put some anti cease on the threads when putting it on.
Putting anti-sieze on that is a baaaad idea. It's a direct entry to the engine. Would you really want all of the copper and other stuff in anti-sieze floating around your engine internals? The only thing that is supposed to go on those threads is a little bit of grease

1 - 20 of 21 Posts