Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow riders, I'm in a bit of a jam with my bike. It's an 07 600rr, non abs. I bought the bike earlier this year and knew I had to eventually change the coolant, since I didn't know it's condition. So Friday afternoon, I flush the rad as instructed on the forums etc, but I don't have a torque wrench. Needless to say, I messed up... I stripped the hole somewhere along the process. My father in laws a mechanic (cars), he tried to put a slightly larger bolt in there today to fix it but it snapped. He knows I'm worried it might leak (currently leaking but he said it's aluminum and it would tighten up), so he offered to drill, and re-thread it. Not sure if I should see my bike mechanic or let my father in law help some more lol (I obviously appreciate his help, but I fear making things worse). Would my bike mechanic be better off doing this??
Thanks in advanced.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Little confused here. My 08 does not have a drain hole that I know of. It has a couple of attachment points to the body and two hose attachment points. I don't see where a stripped bolt would allow any coolant to leak.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for the confusion. It's the coolant drain bolt as described by many in the coolant flush threads. Seems I stripped the threads of the drain plug with the rad bolt, bolt looks beat up too. I think this whole assembly is the water pump cover, which can be replaced if worse comes to worse right?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
If your Father in Law/ Suegra makes his living as a mechanic.....and he's really careful......drilling and rethreading oversize is no problem.

However, shavings from above operation could be a problem.

Please whatever you do, be careful.

Don't introduce metal shavings into cooling system...be creative?

flooding water while trying to drill/tap new threads may be stupid.

Alt. solution, buy used on Ebay and replace , again with FIL's help.

Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks the replies. We drilled and retapped it on Tuesday night but bike still leaks when on. I ordered a new water pump cover yesterday. Thanks for the advice guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts