Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was trying to loosen up the oil drain bolt so i can change the oil and stripped it. damn cheap aluminum was soo hard to even break loose. i tired channel locks, adjustable wrench and to my avail no luck... what else can i try? i need to change my oil.

D

·
0 Posts
Try drilling through it and inserting a steel rod the same size as the hole and using that to twist. If that doesn't work, try putting some ice packs on the oil pan/bolt area to shrink the metal some and see if that loosens it. If worst comes to worst, I'd say drill and tap for a left handed bolt and use that to get it out.

·
BOTM 07/09
1,693 Posts
My friend had the same problem. Invited me over to see if I can remove it. Grabbed a pair of vise grips clamped them down as hard as I could and voila! The bolt was off and a new one went on.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
"Lefty-loosy, righty-tighty" and for bolts underneath sometimes people get that confused. So we will assume you are twisting the correct way. The vice grips should work but if they slip you may want to shave that bolt head a bit so you can get more grip on it. Use a dremel or a file to shape the head of it.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
craftsman ratcheting wrenches.
best investment i ever made

never ever rounded off a bolt with them

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
dont blame the "cheap aluminum" hardware, its quality stuff.
blame improper servicing and/or tools.

ALWAYS use a 6 point closed end wrench or socket in the correct size, ive seen 12mm and 17mm drain plugs, but the 17mm's were steel IIRC.

if u want to get it out, try running the bike up to temperature, then touch an ice cube to the drain plug. this usually works at freeing stuck fasteners, but it will be difficult since u most likely destroyed the plug already.
or u could go w/ the bolt extractor method.

·
Registered
67 Posts
use a pipe wrench works every time... it is designed to grab round pipes so a stripped bolt is no problem.. jus look at the teeth and make sure u turn it the right way.. it is designed when u turn it the teeth dig into the bolt....

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alright so i got it off finally....i went ahead and filed some off aluminum off to get shape and was able to get it off. thanks for the help... most defiinitely will be looking to get better tools. thanks again for the help

·
Rusted Hood
172 Posts
at least what happened to me didnt happen to you...went to the local yamaha shop to get my oil changed and a new back tire.. picked my bike up..rode to school. rode home. rode to work and when i stopped to take my gear off i looked down and saw a puddle of oil. they failed to fully insert my plug back in

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
+1 Use the correct closed end wrench or socket.

dont blame the "cheap aluminum" hardware, its quality stuff.
blame improper servicing and/or tools.

ALWAYS use a 6 point closed end wrench or socket in the correct size, ive seen 12mm and 17mm drain plugs, but the 17mm's were steel IIRC.

if u want to get it out, try running the bike up to temperature, then touch an ice cube to the drain plug. this usually works at freeing stuck fasteners, but it will be difficult since u most likely destroyed the plug already.
or u could go w/ the bolt extractor method.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
at least what happened to me didnt happen to you...went to the local yamaha shop to get my oil changed and a new back tire.. picked my bike up..rode to school. rode home. rode to work and when i stopped to take my gear off i looked down and saw a puddle of oil. they failed to fully insert my plug back in
WOW!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
906 Posts
The sponsors of one of our trackdays did this to a client's bike. The guy then crashed at the trackday after depositing the contents of his bike's sump down the back straight and into the final corner. Ruined the day for everyone and, most of all, him!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts