Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help me please. I'm attempting to change out my air filter and the only thing stopping me is the center screw of the air filter. It looks corroded compared to the other two screws. When I went to turn it, it stripped it. Now its stuck and I don't know what to do. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

D

·
0 Posts
Get a screw extractor and get it out. You could also drill the head of the screw off and then just untwist the threaded part with your fingers once you get the filter out. Make sure to get all of the metal shavings out of the airbox.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Any car or bike shop can take that out in 5-10 minutes real quick, with little or no damage to the air box. Otherwise pick up a screw extractor and do it yourself.

·
Registered
921 Posts
It's tricky drilling the head off because it's a shouldered screw, the body is a lot wider than you think. I had to try and drill them out because they were way over tightened in the factory....but at some point the drill bit must have caught the screw slightly and spun the thread insert putting a split in the airbox housing grrrrrr.

So if you do go down the route of drilling it out do it very carefully, and make sure you cover everything up so no metal gets into the airbox or air filter.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Alternate to drilling the head out use a dremel tool with a carbide rasp and cut a slot in the top and twist it out - again make sure yout prevent any metal shavings from entering hte intake

1 - 6 of 6 Posts