Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...I tried to paint my lowers and when almost done, totally screwed it up. So I am going to just remove the paint the best I can. Plus this gives me an excuse to use my new paint gun...LOL

Ok, so now for the questions.

1. How do I strip the paint off?...stripper, sand blaster, what???

2. Where can I get paint (gloss black) to spray back on there that will work in my air gun?

3. Same as above, but for the clear coat...

Thanks all...you are the best... (yes, even you corleone... :D )

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
auto paint is what your going to need. Look for an auto paint store. Using a paint gun is going to look alot better then a rattle can. I would just sand it smooth. Sand blasting plastic can cause problems and eat holes in it and you have to use a really low air pressure. As for the paint. It doesn't matter that finish the black is as long as the clear coat is gloss.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Well it depends on how you messed up. If you dont have lots of material to take off just wet sand it all smooth. I would start with say 400 wet with a soft sanding block and work your way up to 800. What ever you do DO NOT use a sand blaster it will eat your plastics up. Second what kind of paint gun did you get? If its a real automotive type gun then find a store (O'Reilly Auto Parts deals DuPont) that sells DuPont paint and get DuPont paint code 99 (i think). You will also need reducer for the paint. You shouldnt need more than a pint because you are using reducer. Same goes with the clear coat. You can also pick up a mixing bucket that makes mixing paint and reducer idoit proof. I hope this helps you out. If not let me know any other questions you might have.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Don't forget the hardender for the clearcoat. Any good auto paint store will give you everything you need and give you instructions for mixing. Also, you'll buy reducer for the temperature (i.e. If it's 80 outside, there is a different reducer than if it's 70).

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I smeared the paint with my fingers...and there were a lot of coats...Plus I just didn't like how it came out....So now I have an excuse to play with the spray gun. It came with the air compressor (it's a big one)...and have not used it yet....

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I don't know how the chemical strippers will react with the plastic, so I would be hesitant to try that route. If it were me, I would use an electric sander with a medium grit (230 or 300) on the large surfaces. Then hand sand the tighter spots. I'd go all the way down to bare plastic. Then smooth it out with the 600 again to start over. Like the others said DO NOT use a sand blaster. I know how tempting it is to try out a "new toy", but I think it would be much cheaper/easier to just buy the spray can from Color-Rite.

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
I don't think you want to use any strippers, Most methylene chloride based strippers will soften plastic and possibly ruin the lowers. I'd recommend sanding it down, start with 100 grit paper and go finer from there. Depending on how cheap the paint is that you used, xylene may dissolve it enough to wipe it off. Check a home depot for Xylene or paint thinner.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts