Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a fairing bolt that just spins and spins when trying to take it out. Its the one on the bottom under the headers that connects the two lower side fairings. (2007 600rr) What's the best approach to getting that sucker out of there with minimal damage?

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
You should be able to put one hand from the front of the bike near the headers and squeeze the backside of the rubber well nut. You can then use the other hand to undo the bolt with an allen key.

You could also get some plies in there to hold the back side of the well nut.

Its basically a rubber bung with a threaded metal insert in it. Your metal insert is loose and just spins with the bolt. A little pressure will help the rubber grip and allow you to loosen it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hopefully just grabbing the back with pliers or something does the trick for ya..

I've had/seen these be a pain to get out because the well nuts are brass (the inside) and the fairing bolts are steel which makes them VERY easy to cross thread and get all jacked up. Just be sure to use hand tools and not tighten the piss out of them. 1/4" drive wrenches work great and if you only have 1/2" just choke up on the handle to ensure you don't over tighten them.

I learned this lesson the hard way, I'm a pipe fitter/plumber for the gas company so I tend to tighten everything way too tight!

As far as the replacements/extras go, I wouldn't recommend buying single OEM ones from the dealer. Unless you feel like getting raped on prices. As Bridge said you can pick them up from select hardware stores or go to the dealer and pick up one of the Sportbike Bolt kits. They usually come with a couple well nuts plus others that you may need down the road.

My local dealer carries these and they do the trick:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts