Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rode in the rain the other day for about 20 min and now my key doesnt go in and out very smoothly like it use to. i tried wiping down the key but it didnt help much. anyone know a trick maybe?

· Registered
306 Posts
Last time that happened to me, I called the dealership and they told me to spray some wd40 into the keyhole. Don't spray too much or it might damage the ignition. I tried it and it worked wonders for me, but try at your own risk.

· Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Last time that happened to me, I called the dealership and they told me to spray some wd40 into the keyhole. Don't spray too much or it might damage the ignition. I tried it and it worked wonders for me, but try at your own risk.
cool thanks man, funny i tried spraying the key with wd40 but not the keyhole...ill give it a shot. thanks.:wave:

· Registered
754 Posts
Another better and longer lasting fix is white lithium grease, its used for gears and good for key holes. put a little on the key, slide it in and out and turn the key a couple times then you're good to go
after a couple times the key will be clean but the ignition should remain smooth

· *BOTM Feb '11, Mar '12*
31,107 Posts
Another better and longer lasting fix is white lithium grease, its used for gears and good for key holes. put a little on the key, slide it in and out and turn the key a couple times then you're good to go
after a couple times the key will be clean but the ignition should remain smooth
+1 to that, that stuff makes master locks and other outdoor locks work like new again, I always have a tube in my tool box

· Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the tips guys...ill try em out and keep u guys posted...

· Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well looks like the wd40 did its job...key slides perfectly now. took a day to loosen up but seems to work way better now. if it continues to give me crap ill try the grease idea...but for anyone wanting the quickfix hit it with some wd40, not too much though.:five:

· Whoring Is What I Do
5,886 Posts
I wouldn't use WD-40..i'd just some graphite or white lithium grease..

· Registered
834 Posts
Rode in the rain the other day for about 20 min and now my key doesnt go in and out very smoothly like it use to...
Absolutely he should use WD-40. That's what it's for... displacing water.

Use the WD-40 to chase any moisture from your lock cylinder. After it's had some time to loosen up and dry out (assuming it was THAT wet in there) hit it with some graphite or white lithium. White lithium grease is great. Any additional water won't wash it away.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.