Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
06/2016 BOTM Winner 07/2015 BOTM Winner
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok what is it w/ stop lights? Is it just me or is there some trick to it. Ever since I got the bike last summer Ive had this problem. Seems like whenever I come up to a light and there is no one behind me the light will not pick me up and reconize that there is anyone in that lane trying to make a turn. Let me make this clear this only happens on a left or right hand turn, not on a continuing stright direction. Alot of the time in the rotation the light just skips over me and Im left sitting there forever. If a car comes up behind me then it picks that up and it turns green. Is there something Im doing wrong? Am I to close/to far away from the the light? Should I be in the middle of the lane or further to the left/right? Its just really annoying.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Stop lights can be tricky for bikes... b/c they're smaller than cars. Look for cutouts on the road when you approach a stop light. These are usually the sensors that sense vehicles, so try to get over those. They look like diamond cutouts in the concrete and they're usually in the middle of a lane. I've heard that they sense weight and/or have a magnet down there to sense metal. Not quite sure how they're activated. However, even if you get over one of them, they can still be tricky and not sense the bike.

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
I got my green light trigger zip tied to the kick stand
and it works most of the time

Before you spend the money and buy on e you can always
try a piece of magnet first

Computer hard drives have them also car spare key holders
are magnets so buy one of them from pep boys and try it out

N

·
0 Posts
mikehal said:
Stop lights can be tricky for bikes... b/c they're smaller than cars. Look for cutouts on the road when you approach a stop light. These are usually the sensors that sense vehicles, so try to get over those. They look like diamond cutouts in the concrete and they're usually in the middle of a lane.
The trick to this, and it always, ALWAYS have worked for me is get over it, and hit the start button - no it's not going to hurt the bike, just don't hold it down. It'll trigger the sensors, and WALLA, GREEN LIGHT.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Nemesis said:
The trick to this, and it always, ALWAYS have worked for me is get over it, and hit the start button - no it's not going to hurt the bike, just don't hold it down. It'll trigger the sensors, and WALLA, GREEN LIGHT.
+1 that does work..

·
Registered
28,565 Posts
Nemesis said:
hmmmm....not hurt the bike huh! gonna have to try that...

·
06/2016 BOTM Winner 07/2015 BOTM Winner
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the tips guys, I'll look for the cut outs in the tar the next time Im at the pesky stop lights that always give me trouble. Wont be riding until thurs anyway b/c its going to be rainy and cold all week. Just a typical spring in Maine.

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
5,051 Posts
There are usually a section of the road that's cut out at the front of the lane. These are sensors in the road. Usually, it's long rectangle just shorter than the width of the lane. Down the middle is sensor too. Just make sure your wheels are on the sensors. Usually it's not important when going straight because green lights on the straight usually go on independent of activating the sensors (in other words, it'll turn green eventually). But on turn lanes, usually the green arrow only comes on if there's someone there so as to allow the opposite traffic to go on green instead of waiting for an empty turn lane signal.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It wasn't for a bike, but I heard on the news the other day that some guy had a remote that would change traffic lights from red to green with the click of a button. One of those would solve your problem too because you wouldn't have to wait at the light, but I think they may be illegal. So, maybe just stick to the magnet suggested above!

Warp_Speed said:
ok what is it w/ stop lights? Is it just me or is there some trick to it. Ever since I got the bike last summer Ive had this problem. Seems like whenever I come up to a light and there is no one behind me the light will not pick me up and reconize that there is anyone in that lane trying to make a turn. Let me make this clear this only happens on a left or right hand turn, not on a continuing stright direction. Alot of the time in the rotation the light just skips over me and Im left sitting there forever. If a car comes up behind me then it picks that up and it turns green. Is there something Im doing wrong? Am I to close/to far away from the the light? Should I be in the middle of the lane or further to the left/right? Its just really annoying.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts