Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like I am dealing with morons every time I go to the dealership and I don’t even know that much about fixing bikes. So I got new tires today (Pilot Powers) and on the way home the bike felt extremely slippery and I just thought new tires were like that for the first 50 or so miles. Well I checked the tire pressure and it read 44 psi rear and 42 front. What if I were to go down? Vent over. Thanks

·
Registered
422 Posts
I get the point, do you're own maintenance, but when you leave a dealership you expect to at least get home especially after dropping a boogle for tires. It's not a lack of owner maintenance it's dealership negligence. Robbie is correct, that dealer should get kicked in the neck.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Well then how about never trust anyone else to work on your bike...always doble check their work.

When I wrench on someone elses bike I go over it piece by piece with them befroe they leave. Also carry atire pressure guage in your bike (the toolkit box is great) I have been out on long rides and felt the bike getting sloppy, when unsure whether I caught a nail or the road urface is slimey I check my pressure....

it is also good for checking your tires before every ride.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Read the side of your tire. For insurance reasons they need to inflate your tire to max psi load that is on the side of the tire. Granted they did apparantly they did neglect to inform your of this. A speach that also usually involves you taking it easy on the tires for x miles.

I bring a gauge when I get tires put on.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Well then how about never trust anyone else to work on your bike...always doble check their work.

When I wrench on someone elses bike I go over it piece by piece with them befroe they leave. Also carry atire pressure guage in your bike (the toolkit box is great) I have been out on long rides and felt the bike getting sloppy, when unsure whether I caught a nail or the road urface is slimey I check my pressure....

it is also good for checking your tires before every ride.
Exactly! It's not about mounting your own tires. It's taking responsibility for your own safety. You simply shouldn't trust someone else with your life like that.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I thought PP's were recommended to be pretty high for the street.
Personally I don't believe that, the PSI numbers seem really high.
Mine are normally at 34F/34R and down to 30F/30R sometimes if it's a bit cold out or just after the rain.
But you should have checked your pressures before leaving, since it was a brand new tire...

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I run 30/30 on my PPs, for street and track...seems to get good millage and wear and good grip as well at this temp.

·
Registered
688 Posts
They have always asked me what psi I want in my tires, I guess I have a decent dealership.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Tires have a coating on them to preserve the rubber. They are always slippery for the first 50 miles LOL. I guess the dealership should have told you that. Mine always tells me to take it easy until all the coating gets scrubbed off.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Tires have a coating on them to preserve the rubber. They are always slippery for the first 50 miles LOL. I guess the dealership should have told you that. Mine always tells me to take it easy until all the coating gets scrubbed off.
He mentioned that he knew the tires would be slippery for the first few miles, his gripes are about the high tire pressure. :icon_stud

·
Registered
11 Posts
Greasy handed mechanics, oily shop floor, need to let the tires warm and soften......could be anything. Tire pressure might have been a little high but is usually about 42 max.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts