Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok ive been riding around without using the clutch when i shift... only going into 1st gear... im not hurting anything right, anyone else do it? i do it in my car all the time and know it doesnt hurt anything... but i forgot to ask somone if i should do it on my bike or not:hump:

·
Registered
320 Posts
is it that much harder to pull the clutch in, probably shouldn't too much, likely not good for the clutch, cause you sort of just jamming it into gear.

·
Registered
799 Posts
It's actually better for the clutch if done properly. Problem is it's very hard to do properly at anything less than full throtle. When you say into first gear.. . what, from neutral? If so ,no that isn't good. It really isn't good on the 1-2 shift either because it is easy to miss. 2-3 and up at WOT is good if done right, there's less wear on the clutch because it never disengages, the transmission just needs to be unloaded for a split second.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Ceph said:
1st to 2nd, or back again is kinda rough. it's that whole going over nuetral thing.

the rest of the gears are pretty easy, as long at you work the throttle right, and match the revs. i do it upshifting quite often, but i clutch it to down shift. just my $.02
Same here, but I only do it under heavy acceleration.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Huh you learn something new everyday, Man you guys know your $htt

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Its fine for up or down when you do it right, other than starting from the line in a race, I rarely touch the clutch again during the race. Once you get the feel for it, you can do it with WFO throttle, or even just cruisin even from 1st to 2nd and the gear will feel like a soft cushion, none of the crazy metal clicking.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Shows how much I don't know about bikes.. I would have thought shifting without using the clutch would be a big "no no", no matter what the conditions were.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I pick one or two rides a week to shift without the clutch. I'm never at full throttle for it either. I usually hit the gas just a bit, let off and shift up real quick. It lets the transmission shift out real smooth and by letting off the gas, tends to match the RPMs pretty well.
I've downshifted w/o clutch fairly smoothly (again, its all about matching rpm) but I generally try not to because I'll certainly miss the shift from time to time and I love my bike to much to put it through that.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
just try it - typically you don't want to unless your running say over 10k but you can mess around a little without doing any serious damage. If you 'practice' a lot you might want to consider flushing the oil and replacing it more often until you get the feel for it. I personally only clutchless shift 2-6, I don't feel comfortable going through nuetral without the clutch.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I feather the clutch going from 1st to 2nd to make it a smoother shift but the rest of the gears can be done clutchless at any rpm as long as you cut the throttle for the shifts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts