Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From http://motorcyclecruiser.com/newsandupdates/inslosses05/
Why Insurers Like Cruiser Motorcycles: Fewer Thefts and Crashes
A study by Progressive Insurance Companies confirms that cruiser-type motorcycles, especially small ones, are crashed and stolen less frequently than sportbikes.
We recently received a release from Progressive, the third-largest insurer of vehicles in the U.S and one of the largest motorcycle insurers, concerning a study of loss rates for different types of motorcycles. It looked at claims data from more than two million motorcycle policies. The study confirmed what most of us suspect—that sportbikes get crashed and stolen more frequently than other types and that cruisers are least likely to suffer these events that cost insurers. That's why cruisers can be cheaper to insure even though they often cost more to purchase.
Though the study doesn't look at the reasons, it's easy to speculate why sportbikes have higher loss rates. Sportbikes appeal to younger riders and their orientation makes them more appealing to risk-takers and more likely to be ridden in a risky manner. The fact that sportbikes are more likely to be crashed—and therefore need replacement parts (and that plastic bodywork can be very expensive)—means that there is a bigger market for stolen sportbike parts. Younger riders, especially those inclined to take risks, are probably more likely to be uninsured and therefore more likely to resort to illegal means to repair or replace their damaged rides. There is also evidence that sportbikes are ridden more often and more miles than cruisers, which would also make them more likely to be crashed.
Progressive listed the five bikes with the best and worse records for crash losses and theft losses. Suzuki's 650 Savage (now called the Boulevard S40), Honda 250 and 450 Rebels (grouped together) and BMW R1200C series cruiser made the top five on both of the least-lost lists, with the Savage topping the least-stolen list. Yamaha's Virago line (which included 250, 500, 535, 700, 750, 920, 1000 and 1100cc models over more than two decades, though only the 250 is still being produced) was listed as the least likely to be crashed. Suzuki GSX-R sportbikes topped both the most-crashed and most-stolen lists. Yamaha's YZF series, Kawasaki's Ninjas, and Honda CBRs (all sportbikes except perhaps the Kawasaki 500) also made the top five on both of the high-loss lists. The lists, as compiled by Progressive follow.
CRASHES
Least Likely to be Crashed
1. Yamaha Virago Series
2. Honda Rebel Series
3. Suzuki Savage
4. Harley-Davidson FXR (Superglide)
5. BMW R1200C
Most Likely to be Crashed
1. Suzuki GSX-R Series
2. Kawasaki Ninja Series
3. Suzuki TLR
4. Yamaha YZF Series
5. Honda CBR Series
THEFTS
Least Likely to be Stolen
1. Suzuki Savage
2. BMW R1200C
3. Honda Rebel Series
4. Honda Shadow Series
5. Yamaha V-Star
Most Likely to be Stolen
1. Suzuki GSX-R Series
2. Yamaha YZF Series
3. Honda CBR Series
4. Suzuki Hayabusa
5. Kawasaki Ninja Series

·
Registered
51 Posts
Good point should have named the list. Least likely to be caught dead riding instead.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Corba321 said:
Good point should have named the list. Least likely to be caught dead riding instead.
I'm not so sure.... I Love stunting my wifes Rebel and I ride it around town alot in my Rocket Jacket and gloves.... :) Hey what the heck, us ugly guys have to get attention anyway we can,,,, POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE !!!!! LOL.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Great info thanks for posting. I always wondered why Progressive was so high compared to all the others now I know. I say Screw Progressive. They know too much about motorcycles and that’s why the rates are so high. Go State Farm, they are dumb as a bag of hammers when it comes to bikes and give coverage based on engine displacement. Any thing under 600cc is really cheap. Works for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
so what we have learned here is that manufacturers need to come up with completely different names for their bikes to keep our insurance rates down.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
The question that should be raised is the actual percentage of style owned to number of thefts.

If there are 10 savages in Florida and 2 of them are stolen, that's a 20% theft rate.

If there are 100 gsxr's and 15 are stolen that's a 15% theft rate.

I can change the numbers just as easy as the insurance companies.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts