Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be stupid, but what can you use to clean your tires with. Will armor-all or other spray on tire cleaners work, or will they possibly make the tire slick if you were to hit a wet spot, or rain in the road. Sorry, if this is really stupid, but I would like the tires to shine nice, without making them a hazzard.

·
Registered
48 Posts
you can use armor-all or whatever you want, but on the sidewall only :!: . Anything on the tread will effect traction.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I suggest black shoe polish, sidewall only, away from the edge of the contact patch.
The best look, in my opinion, is the clean rubber look. :smile:

·
Registered
146 Posts
CorleoneRR said:
I stay away from armor all altogether. Just hose them down.
yeah a friend of mines was a newbie and he armor all'd his tires for that brand new look... well his bike was trashed and he got a few battle scars too.. :oops:

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
A technical question for this thread! I think I came up with a damned good bike wash at work. www.chemiteinc.com I combined some of the ingredients and the technology from the over 30 car care products that we manufacture into an overly concentrated bike wash. The only problem I may have with it is it contains 2% of a silicone copolymer which may initially barely effect traction. I have had no problems with it so far and it doesn't leave the tires shiny, just the bike but it cleans the heck out of the tires and rims, gets rid of that dust and road film film on the tires and rims. I was going to send a few freebie samples to Nick at MRI but I already made up five gallons of the current formulation and have been wondering about this ingredient. It does such a nice job as is and I really don't want to change the formula. Does HONDA POLISH have any kind of a wax ingredient like this in it and if so are there any warnings about tires?? Any help will be appreciated and if you PM me your address I may be able to send you a quart. the beauty of the stuff is one quart will make 5 gallons of spray on, hose off bike wash. It's great on bug guts too!

Thanx
Eric

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
WherzRoony said:
... Does HONDA POLISH have any kind of a wax ingredient like this in it and if so are there any warnings about tires?? ...

Thanx
Eric
that's sound like a really cool product. hope it goes well for you. as for you question about the Honda Polish, it does in fact have some type of wax or lubercating agent. i'm assuming you've never used it, otherwise you would know that the tank is slipperyer than snot after using Honda Polish on it.... again, good luck with you're product.

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
mule-madness said:
WherzRoony said:
... Does HONDA POLISH have any kind of a wax ingredient like this in it and if so are there any warnings about tires?? ...

Thanx
Eric
that's sound like a really cool product. hope it goes well for you. as for you question about the Honda Polish, it does in fact have some type of wax or lubercating agent. i'm assuming you've never used it, otherwise you would know that the tank is slipperyer than snot after using Honda Polish on it.... again, good luck with you're product.
Nope, I haven't used a cleaner that I don't make in over 10 years. It's nice to be able to completely skip the cleaner aisle in grocery stores.

This stuff doesn't leave anything slipery, just shiny. The tires come out a nice flat black, Wanna try a quart free, PM me with your address.

EDIT: that goes for all of you experienced riders. PM me. I have 20 quarts that I don't want to send to Nick until I get some feedback.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Irish RR said:
For the love of god dont use armor all on your tires. :bitchslap:
+++++1

Friend of mine tried that on his bike. Looked really pretty he said until he TRIED to go around his first corner. He pushed it home.

·
Registered
209 Posts
If I ever get any chain lube overspray on the sidewalls I use white gas (camp fuel, naptha) on it. It gets the lube off and does not damage the rubber. Never thought about shining it up though.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Who cares what the rubber looks like for gods sake....

·
Registered
391 Posts
uprmstudio said:
This may be stupid, but what can you use to clean your tires with. Will armor-all or other spray on tire cleaners work, or will they possibly make the tire slick if you were to hit a wet spot, or rain in the road. Sorry, if this is really stupid, but I would like the tires to shine nice, without making them a hazzard.
OMG I'm not even going to read any futher. Absolutely DO NOT use any type of polish on your tires whatsoever. Especially sh#t like Amor-all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts