Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may sound stupid but here it goes, how fast does the wind need to blow to tip over a bike?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Just fast enough to break the static threshold of the bikes weight as it directly correlates to the wind's dynamic velocity. If you relate this to Newton's laws, you will find a clear answer. Ride Safe.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
canadarr said:
This just happened to my brother in laws vtr 1000, it wasnt real windy but there was a gust north and he had his bike parked east/west so over it went
ouch, never heard of this happening excpet in extreme winds, any other input from anyone?

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I have heard riders on open planes with a strong cross wind riding tilted to the side, only to find out what happens when the wind stops. Ride safe.

·
Overpaid South Pacific Barista overactive ADHD c
27,367 Posts
happened to my first bike parked on a crest and on a gusty day, you know when your side stand has the bike quite vertical.. crash byebye brake lever....wind gusts were 70-90 kph that day , i took note..haha

·
Registered
736 Posts
huh this is a wierd question. there are too many variables. no answer can come from this thread. i feel confused. if it is really windy it could blow over my .02

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
It takes reaaaaally strong winds, although it can happen a lot easier if you have a cover on it in the wind. The cover acts like a sail and tips the bike a lot easier.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
600RidgeRunner said:
Just fast enough to break the static threshold of the bikes weight as it directly correlates to the wind's dynamic velocity. If you relate this to Newton's laws, you will find a clear answer. Ride Safe.

ummmm...carry the 6, divide by the capital of New Guinea, plus the square root of 198526478.582=what?!

·
She thinks my tractor's sexy, it really turns her
5,253 Posts
I think the question need to be more specific.....are you referring to a moving bike, or a bike on a kickstand?????? I live in the flat lands, and i've ridden sideways a many a times.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have had the wind blow my bike over before and no it wasnt to windy I guess its just a matter of how the wind catches it...It was on the kickstand in the driveway. It can get real windy here on the Oregon coast!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've seen many a bike laying on the ground the night after a hurricane come through. I've never been in the direct path, so we haven't seen the 100+ mph winds, but we did get some gusts in the neighborhood of ~50mph. Those bikes with with covers went right over, some stayed up right. Depends on bike weight, position, conditions, etc.... lots of variables.

If you're talking a moving bike being lifted from underneath.. it's possible but highly unlikely.

If you're talking about a moving bike being tipped from the side... again possible, but somewhat unlikely if you're paying attention.

Go ask a physics professor!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts