Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is what happened yesterday.

Fuel tank had 3 bars, filled the tank, started the bike and got back onto the road. All of a sudden the engine feels and sounds rough. When I got back home I put the bike on a stand, checked the oil level and it was good. I put my finger on the chain and it was lubed.

Bugged me so much yesterday and I couldn't ride comfortably at all.

One thing I did realize; you know wen you are shifting and the gear doesn't click into place, you have to let the clutch lever out slightly and you hear a bit of a clunk then you try shifting again and it sticks? Well when I pulled over in a praking lot I just pulled the clutch lever in and out 4 times or so and every time it made that little clunk I am talking about.

Mileage is 9500KM and the oil was changed about 1500KM ago.

Cluth cable needs replacement so soon?

:ponder:

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
is it posible you've picked up some bad fuel? even the best stations can have crappy fuel sometimes. the bike hadn't been sitting a while before yesterday, had it?

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is it posible you've picked up some bad fuel? even the best stations can have crappy fuel sometimes. the bike hadn't been sitting a while before yesterday, had it?
Bike had been sitting for 11 days.
Bad fuel is very uncommon here, and the thing is I rode for 20Km with absolutely no problems at all, then I pulled into the fuel station to fill up and when I left it felt different.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I've been racking my brains but I can't think what it could be. If I had the same issue after a fill up, my first thought would naturally be the fuel.

what exactly is rough? the engine or the transmission?

are you in a dusty environment? when did you last check your air filter?

as far as the clutch goes, I get the same "knock" noise when I pull the lever in & out. my cable has 26000 miles on it, maybe I should change it but I've never had an issue with it

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
my guess would be that the fuel you put in, right before it started running rough, was bad. Try putting a bottle of octane booster in it, or draining the fuel and putting some new stuff in from another filling station

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No dusty environment and it's the engine that seems rough Swan. I forgot to add that after the 11 day break, I rode it before yesterday and it was fine and yesterday it was good until I filled up. I guess it has to be the fuel then. The fuel was 95 PON. Do you think just using it up would be a bad idea?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
you could use the fuel up, but it may do more harm than good and the engine will most likely run rough the whole time. Your best bet would be to either siphon the gas out, or remove the tank and drain out the fuel, then fill it with new fuel.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
you could use the fuel up, but it may do more harm than good and the engine will most likely run rough the whole time. Your best bet would be to either siphon the gas out, or remove the tank and drain out the fuel, then fill it with new fuel.
:+1:

if its a full tank I'd siphon it out into a jerry can, then refill & add a fuel system cleaner. if it doesn't improve then at least you can rule out bad fuel.

if you do siphon, DO NOT SWALLOW! :crackup:

my experience with bad fuel saw the bike die on me just after I pulled out from a junction onto a busy road with an 18 wheeler coming at me, the bike would barely move even with WOT, I'll never take that chance again

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
How old is your battery?

Check the inside of the fuel tank with a flashlight, and look if there is any debris/sediment in the bottom of the tank.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I guess since it's a full tank I'll siphon it without swallowing!

Mikey, the bike is 2011 with the OEM battery. I will check the tank for debris and report back.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Modcake with sprinkles
9,039 Posts
I was going to say check the simple like is the chain too loose. When you slightly let the clutch out it can make a clunk or jerk from the slack being taken out. But since it started happening right after filling up and was fine before that seems a little odd.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I realized my left handlebar end was loose, substantially, meaning if I didn't tighten it before another 15 more mins of riding, it could have come off. After making sure both bar ends are tightened, I just rode the bike without any gear around the garage and it didn't seem like there was a problem with the bike. So either the loose bar end gave me that feeling of a rough engine/feedback, which if so, I am rather appauled at myself for thinking so, or maybe when I go for another proper ride all geared up I will notice something different.

Will update soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts