Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was downshifting with moderate braking towards a stoplight when the engine shut off, and the dash showed what you see pretty much when you turn the key on. Stopped to the side turned the bike off then on, battery felt like it was dead. Granted the battery didn't sound healthy when I started it for the first time but it still got the bike up on the first try and considering it's quite cold nowadays (15 Clesius dry cold) it didn't seem like it was in very bad shape. The bike didn't stall either.

I got a push from friendly Harley rider and the bike started on the first attempt without any trouble, gave it a number of redline runs and didn't have a problem at all. Next day, it started up again somewhat sounding slightly unhealthy. This started happening after the cold descended which I know affects battery performance, but for it to stop like that was just strange.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
15 Celsius cold? That's a summers day over here!

Probably the battery mate, I had a similar issue earlier in the year, battery was dead, it was 8 years old so it done well. Grab a multi meter & check what it's kicking out. Or could be a bad earth. Nico might be able to help, he's an electrics guru

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
after trying what swan and wibbly suggest, shop for a new (Lithium) battery.

even if you are successful in getting this battery to perform again, it will do the same thing in a couple more months......

·
Registered
206 Posts
Very similar experience about two months ago. Downshifting as I came to a stop light at the end of an exit ramp, got into first and everything died as soon as I stopped. Couldn't get it started w starter switch or bump starting (probably operator error on the bump start fail, lol). Bought new battery that night and installed it; been firing up great ever since...

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
15 Celsius cold? That's a summers day over here!

Probably the battery mate, I had a similar issue earlier in the year, battery was dead, it was 8 years old so it done well. Grab a multi meter & check what it's kicking out. Or could be a bad earth. Nico might be able to help, he's an electrics guru
LOL, will check the battery with the multimeter after I go buy one. I was honestly too lazy to check the earthing point on the left side of the bike. Yup, I'm waiting for Nico to contribute, he is the go-to guy with everything electric.

Have a look at your battery terminals. Loose ones can cause all kinds of grief
First thing I did, the terminals are tight and very well secured.

after trying what swan and wibbly suggest, shop for a new (Lithium) battery.

even if you are successful in getting this battery to perform again, it will do the same thing in a couple more months......
Exactly what I'm thinking......but it is a pain knowing the bike is only 3 years old.

Very similar experience about two months ago. Downshifting as I came to a stop light at the end of an exit ramp, got into first and everything died as soon as I stopped. Couldn't get it started w starter switch or bump starting (probably operator error on the bump start fail, lol). Bought new battery that night and installed it; been firing up great ever since...
Sounds about the same, but my bike was still moving maybe at 40Km/h that was the weird thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts