Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright i dont know whats wrong with my bike but it keeps on running really hot.. today i went for an hour ride at like 85 degree temp and it got all the way up to 255 and i wasnt doing any hard riding... i dont understand the problem i have coolant.. is there anything i could do to keep it the temp down? i was thinkng about running a switch to turn my fan on as soon as my bike turns on good or bad idea? any tips will help thanks a lot

·
Registered
729 Posts
I had the same problem, i dont know if my solution was the same as yours, but my mixture of coolant/water was wrong... too much coolant. maybe a flush would solove your problem, the drain plug is on the side of the water pump i think.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I had cooling problems recently so I went through this with a race mechanic.

have you done anything recently, like flush the coolant and replace with new? If so, you might not have done the final 'burping' of the system right. you need to get the air bubbles out of the system or the bike will run hot.

Have you taken the radiator cap off and checked that the radiator is actually full?

Have you checked that your fan is actually coming on at about 220F? Mine was damaged from a previous lowside but didnt become apparent until we had a heat wave locally.

Another possibility is that the radiator cap has become weak and wont hold pressure-that would cause you to overheat the bike. I've been told they should be replaced yearly or every 2 years. next time you're out you can swap with someone else and see if theres any change. I swapped with one from an R6. They're almost all the same. New ones arent expensive either-under $20 at the dealer I think.

thats all I remember at the moment. Its definitely not right running at that temp.

·
Registered
504 Posts
What is the hottest temp on a bike before you need to turn off so it doesn't over heat? Or what should you do in a situation where the bike starts heating up? I ask this because the other day it was hot as hell and i saw my bikes temp go up all the way to 235 when I stopped at a red light.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
235 is the top of 'normal' as far as I'm concerned. I think I read that the limit of safety was 245 maybe?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
i hear your man, my bikes been heating up bad lately. since i changed to water wetter and distilled. i dont see what i did wrong, i even redid it, searched for bubbles and everything.

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
Pantablo
Great points bro i will add a few more if i may
1.Check your system for leaks
2.Check your resevoir bottle fluid level
3.Do a safety check on all the hoses & make sure none
is pinched , jammed within the bikes body and none is brittle
that would affect the flow of cooling fluid
4. A simple test is to take all the middle fairing off start the bike
and hold every hose u that is related to cooling issues
you should feel the fluids flowing thru if not
there is an issue with that hose

Hopefully all these heat issues wont happen with the 007 RR
having less middle fairing might be a good reason to solve the
heat issue with the RR

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
moeman said:
Pantablo
4. A simple test is to take all the middle fairing off start the bike
and hold every hose u that is related to cooling issues
you should feel the fluids flowing thru if not
there is an issue with that hose
good idea. although when you do this make sure the bike gets up to temp-let ir run for a few minutes and let the temp get up past 220F so the thermostat can open and allow the coolant to flow through the whole system.

·
Registered
767 Posts
+1 on engine ice that stuff rocks!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for u advice i will try all of that tomorrow hopefully i find the problem thanks gys

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
r your bikes doin that in traffic or freeway? my 96gsxr goes high but its so old the fan doesnt kick on til 245F! ive turned it off at that temp and had a problem starting her so for the rr im think 250 is a pull into the shade and take a 10min break. pouring water over the sides helps as a quick fix but coolent is your problem. Remeber, if u didnt hear it from a honda mec, or a honda fix it book, u prolly aient doin it right.

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
g35kid said:
does anyone have a pic of the drain bolt?? for 03-04
here u go part # 8 ( the one to your right hand ) there is 2 of # 8

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
g35kid said:
alright cool thanks a lot moeman always got the answers
My pleasure bro give your brother my regards :icon_salu

·
Registered
194 Posts
pantablo said:
235 is the top of 'normal' as far as I'm concerned. I think I read that the limit of safety was 245 maybe?
The temp gauge should start to flash at 248 and thats when u have to turn off the bike..at least that's what the 03 owner's manual states..Like these guys said make sure u do not have a clogged radiator..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts