Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my supermoto! it is an '06 DRZ-400sm - black.

I had to drive 100miles outta my way to get a black one, but it is worth it. Two of my best friends also got drz's within the last week (one got an '06, one got an '05). My friends parents took us to the dealer and we trailored my friends drz, so when I bought mine we could just ride them back. We rode all backroads so I could properly break mine in. 110 miles.
okay, these sm's do need a little something to wake them up power-wise. No power-wheelies stock, it is also kinda difficult to cluch them up, but possible. I set $1000 aside for a new carb and yoshi full system, so that and a little airbox modification is good for 8hp, which would be great. my friend rejetted his and opened up the airbox and that helped a great deal.

anyways, this thing is a cornering machine! we had to get on the high way for alittle bit. the on ramp said 25mph, I was half lean doing 45mph! it is so nimble and gives ya so much confidence, its crazy. I've heard that it sucks at highway speeds (65mph) due to wind, but it is not all that bad. the seat is softer than the 600rr but narrower, so it does feel more uncomfortable, but I could cruise at 70mph for 100miles with little discomfort, and I was bucking the wind most of the way. The suspension is great for street riding, potholes are no problem!
The riding position is upright and very comfortable. Clutch, throttle, brakes all worked great. I got about 50mpg on my first tank.
this thing is way more fun than any sportbike! I mean, I do miss the rr's speed, but I would definetly rather have this sm. My friend has 4 bikes - 2005 gsxr 750, 2001 f4i stuntbike, 2005 drz sm, 1999 kx 250. and he says if he could only keep one it would be the sm.
in summary this bike is good for:
1. people who ride for the thrill
2.people who are tired of triple-digit speeding tickets
3.hooligans
and bad for
1.posers
2.people who have long (35+ miles) highway commutes
also, it could use a few more ponies, but works fine without 'em. reading numerous reviews, I found that moding the airbox(free), and adding an fcr carb($550 for new carb and jets from Sudco) are the biggest bang for the buck as far as power and throttle response. I also plan on adding full yosh RS3 system ($500).
I would recommend this to anyone who likes to have fun, beginers and experts alike.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

pics? nothing special, just stock. but here ya go

·
Monkey works will work for you :)
1,679 Posts
Thanks for the write up, I have some friends thinking of buying these, I am going to send them the link to this page to try to persuade them to buy. I was thinking of getting one instead of a 1000RR later this year, we'll see I guess.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, like I said - it is definetly worth trading speed for the shear fun-factor. Plus, everything is cheaper! My friend lowsided his yesterday at about 25mph and he tweaked his bars in the clamp alittle, and the plastic took barely any damage since the bars stick out so far. We just whipped out the tool kit, loosened his clamp and his bars straightend right up, and continued riding. I lowsided my 929 two years ago at the same speed and the engine cover alone was $80! Not to mention 50mpg, and only $30/month for full coverage (with one accident and 1 speeding ticket). this bike owns! Downtown is the best, Just rip right through all the 90 degree corners! Everyone should own one, I say.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I'm dying for a supermoto. I know of a guy who was selling a green ktm duke II for only $5500. I wish I could have bought it. That thing would have been awsome. Looked like this:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought it brand new, msrp is $6200. I was only able to get the dealer to go to $5900. After taxes and such, out-the-door was about $6350. well worth it. 12month factory warranty. They tried to talk me into a 5 year extended warranty for $1000 and into buying a crap load of parts. No matter how many times ya tell them no, they just keep pushing it. so annoying. I figure the 5yr warranty is worthless. I mean, it is basically a dirtbike: even the most mechanically challenged people could fix most things that could go wrong with the bike. And I have owned dirtbikes forever, so in the unlikely chance that something would go wrong, I would have no trouble fixing it for little money.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh yeah, them dukes are fricken sweet. $5500 woulda been a hell of a deal too.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I plan on putting some miles on this weekend. me and my buddies = 3 drz sm's. it will be crazy. Plus, I sold the 600rr to my girlfriend and she has never ridden it before (aside from me taking her in the parking lot and her getting a feel for it). She's ridden bikes before, but I am nervous about letting her just hop on the rr and hit the streets. so she can ride the supermoto for awhile to get a refresher and then ride the rr. It should be a fun weekend. It sucks being in Iowa and my new toy is in WI :(

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ah, them damn Brits get all the good ones:

Honda FMX 650 super moto

Yamaha XT660X supermotard

They even get a new yamaha "tricker" which is like a street legal, 250 4stroke - trials bike (although it still weighs 260lbs).
It sucks that the market isn't as big in the U.S. for motards and streetfighters. for those of us who love both - we get the shaft and don't have much to choose from.

But yeah, the DRZ should definetly have their 450 motor in it, rather than the outdated (although proven reliable) 400. The 400 just doesn't have the power it should have.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts