Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read many posts with similar conditions...yet haven't found what you guys did to remedy the situation. Here is whats going on. 2003 CBR600RR with only 6,XXX miles, no mods. Bought two months ago. I have ran it pretty hard, and about a month ago it surged on me just for a brief few minutes. Rode a total of 180 miles that day and no issues. Since then, ran a lot, no issues until two days ago. Bike started surging real bad, almost lunging back and fourth. About a 20 mile ride home, and in that 20 miles, bike wouldn't go above 70mph. Then, while still surging, wouldn't go above 40 or 50mph. On the last few miles of my trip home, bike seemed to 'back itself down' as I tried to give it throttle, and wouldn't go over 30mph. Limped it home. What gives? Spark plugs or clogged fuel filter? Please help!

·
Registered
936 Posts
there isn't really a filter it's more like a porch screen around the pump....but it sounds like you pump is going bad. had a similar issue but mine wouldn't rev above 10k rpm it would just cut out like the rev limiter

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I turn the key, and still hear the pump 'prime' itself. Would that happen if it was going bad? Also, the engine never cut-out on me, just simply seemed to not want to go above a certain rpm range, sounded like I was really putting a load on the engine, even in NEUTRAL revving it up to 7,000 rpm......sounded hard.

Thank you, replacing plugs this weekend. We shall see!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, replaced the fouled spark plugs and replaced an "o" ring on the lower fuel rail. Took it for a quick spin (very very cold out) and seems to be fine. When it warms up, be able to test it better!

·
Registered
442 Posts
So what is the verdict? Has the problem been solved?

·
Registered
936 Posts
my new to me 05 had a bad pump also, it would prime but it didn't have enough pressure to stay running. The injectors need 50 psi so if the seals are bad on the pump it will prime but not work to full spec

·
Registered
242 Posts
I would also like to know. I have a friend with an '03 R6 having the same problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I have put about 100 miles on the bike since i replaced the plugs and the "o" ring. I ran it pretty hard, and it ran just fine. The weather has been **** here, rainy and cold. I plan to really ride it this weekend, suppose to be in the 50s and 60s. I really want to ride it hard, cold and hot, and see how it does. However, no problems yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To: KAHYNE, I had an '03 R6 that would just die on me and not idle right. Put some seafoam in the bike, and solved the problem. Seriously, had the bike for 12,000 more miles after that and never had a problem. Good luck.
My CBR is not dying, just simply surging. Will stay running, but idlled rough! Hope that helps.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Thanks CBRBusta! I'll let him know. Is there a certain kind of seafoam to get?

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Don't know anything about seafoam but your mate may just have a bad tank of fuel...

·
Registered
242 Posts
Thanks Nico...I'll let him know about that too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To: Kayne and Nico, could be bad fuel, and not sure of the seafoam. However, the seafoam will specify for motorcycle, etc.
To: All, I believe the bike is fixed, rode it very hard this weekend, and almost all day Saturday running errands, stop and go, etc. Only time will tell!

Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts