Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ON THE F*CKING BIKE nonetheless. I just got home, some how in one piece. My wife just started yelling at me as I was standing in the doorway, soaking wet.

I'm terrible at story telling but here goes:

I just installed a Leo Vince 7736 that I bought off another member on .net. Being monsoon season here in Arizona I didn't get a chance to try it out yesterday after installing it.

I was bound and determined to get her opened up and took out for a quick ride up the freeway into Tucson. On my way back I could see the storm that had developed and was hoping it wasn't at my exit yet. Just my luck! I got about 200 meters from my exit when all hell broke loose. Visibility when to sh!t and the wind was incredible. I slowed to about 20 mph along with everybody else, and got to my exit. I had to stop halfway through the off-ramp as my bike was about to blow over. Once I got the balls to move I got off the off-ramp and faced into the wind under the overpass. After a couple minutes I started moving and made it another 50 meters when all traffic stopped due to lack of visibility and high water on the roads. A few minutes passed and lightning hit the transformer on the pole on the other side of the road from me and blew the poles down over the road. I looked up and watched as the lines were falling on top of me. Somehow they stopped about 10 feet above my head and then fell another couple feet before they came to rest just above my head.

I had put the kickstand down to steady the bike in the wind and had it in neutral to keep the bike running so people could see me. As soon as I could get my bearings I dropped it into first and of course the damn thing died (kickstand) so I flipped the kickstand up and started it as fast as I could and hauled a$$ back under the overpass. Got off the bike and looked back at the mess.

Police and Fire came to close the area down so I jumped back on the freeway to get to the next exit and get home before they closed the freeway due to the powerline running over the lanes.

I really don't know how I rode through that. And I've only been on two wheels for a year.

My Held Slide Comps, Astar boots, Sartso Jeans, Joe Rocket mess jacket and Shoei X-11 are soaked. But if that is the worst of it....I'm counting my blessings.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. It was a wild night for sure.

Sent from Rob's iPhone 4 using Motorcycle app

·
Registered
793 Posts
Glad you made it through!

I had a similar thing happen to me on my GS. A damn thunderstom blew up (fairly normal here in TX) and the sucker had tornadoes, massive lightning and rain so hard I couldn't see anything. Same thing as you, hanging on for dear life in the winds and watching crap fly around. When I got home the news said there were 100 mph winds in the area where I got trapped. The place looked like a bomb went off.

Now you'll have a story you can tell people when they whine about getting caught in a little drizzle - assuming you ever get a little drizzle in AZ.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
quit hogging all the rain, where ever you are ... im in the valley and its freakin dry as a damn bone here :/

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
WOW bro, nice you got out of there, that happened to me once, just holding on at that point, hahaha,

good to hear you are still with us, now get the fans running to get that gear dry, the storm awaits, hahaha

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just woke up to both of my arms asleep and 2 alarm clocks going off. FML

Anyways, yeah I've been tempted to get a camera. That woulda been a good video. Wife is in better spirits about the whole thing now.

Tempted to bang in at work today. Ya know, traumatic event and all. ;-)

·
Registered
351 Posts
fvck monsoons i never been in one but sure as hell dont want to especially on two wheels...been through some hellish winds though with sand blowing in palm springs...rode a motorcycle for three years straight no car rode in some serious rain storms good thing you made it from those power lines.:drunk:

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They are still fixing the power lines and the road is still closed.

Still gives me the chills just thinking about it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.