Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm trying to set up my suspension a little different.... ( harder = more agressive right? )

I didnt test it out just yet but I basically clicked front damping and front compression 1 full rotation towards hard...
and the front spring pre-load (Bigger 19mm nuts) I did 7 full rotations towards hard instead of 5 ( stock) .

The rear damping and compression damping I also did 1 full rotation towards hard.
The only thing I didnt touch was the rear spring pre-load setup. ( Dont have the tool to do it )

Any thoughts? Did I go too aggressive or not enough? I do alot of twisties and plan on doing at least 2 track day this next year, also do daily riding ( Avg. 400 / month. ) :icon_lol:

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Everybodies suspension is going to be different. Things to factor in are: Your tires profile, Your Weight? (With&Without Gear), Road Conditions, w/Passenger, Riding habits, etc.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea.. ill give it a shot.... mess around with it...

·
Registered
497 Posts
Check the suspension section of the forum ... I'm sure there's something in there that will help out.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Whats your weight and are the roads your run nicely paved?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im 155 ... 165 w/ gear probably... yea most roads in Washington are really nicly paved..

·
Registered
326 Posts
Spring preload should be set with the spring adjusters. There are specific settings for them but more important, the spring rate should be for your weight with gear. For street riding with so much variability on rider weight, carry stuff, or adding a passenger the right spring rate is problematic.
The rebound and compression damping settings should be set after you have adjusted the spring rate (replaced the springs if neccessary) then sag for the riding weight. Turning the dampening settings 'harder' doesn't really relate to aggressive or not.
Harder springs and stiffer than optimal dampening settings feel harder and agressive but don't give you the best performance especially on the road. Be careful of turning screws based on what someone else says is a good setting unless they ride the same as you and weight the same and have the same tires.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
alright... then ill just switch everything back to stock specs lol

and wait till I get someone at the track to help me out with some susp.. setups lol

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
^^ Probably the best idea. Just turning screws can lead to unwanted issues such as improper tire wear and poor handling characteristics.

As far as sag goes... I'm not sure with the stock spring that you'll even be able to set sag for your weight (**Gurus, correct me if i'm wrong**). I'm 200lbs with full gear and I went 2 notches up on the rear shock and 5 turns away from full preload on my front forks and I still probably could go a little more in the front...lol

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
harder doesnt really mean more aggressive. please either pay someone to set it up or do a lot of reading on what to look for.

set the sag first front and rear.

then check rebound and compression.

generally softer setting willl cause the bike to go wide on exits but this is a very over generalization.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.