Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have an 05 or 06 600RR weighing betwen 150-160 who races? If so, are you running stock suspension and what are your rebound, compression and spring settings? I want to check them against mine.

My suspension isn't soaking up the bumps in turn 8 at Willow and I want to know what I can do to stop that.

·
Registered
114 Posts
did you set your sag? if you did how is the bike handling at other tracks? suspension that works for one might not work for another...hows your tire wear.... is your problem feel like your front end or rear? give me some more details with what your actually feeling and I will try to help you out

Paul

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
REV679 said:
did you set your sag? if you did how is the bike handling at other tracks? suspension that works for one might not work for another...hows your tire wear.... is your problem feel like your front end or rear? give me some more details with what your actually feeling and I will try to help you out

Paul
I'm about 170 and ride on pretty smooth pavement so I can set mine a little stiffer.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sag has been set. It's really only a problem in turn 8 doing 145+. It kind of skips across the bumps causing the bars to shake a little. Feels like I'm riding a bucking bronco. I will mess with it at the track next month and see what happens.

I was just hoping someone my weight had a pretty optimal setting for the suspension.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Post up your current settings and give me a little more info on the track and conditions. I take it this is the front your having a problem with? Have you thought about just changing your line to avoid the bump(s)?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I have. I guess I'll find out at the racers school next month.

I'll check them tonight and post up.

Thanks.

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
5,051 Posts
Bringing this thread back from the past (May)!

Anyways, I think it's related... First of all, SilverSurfer, how are you doing bro? All healed up yet? The Bandit looks sweet and the RR looks as good as new.

My question is about compression. What are y'all's settings? Why did you set it like that? Right now, I feel my compression is a little stiff and it's causing the front to be a little nervous. But the reason it's where it's at is because I didn't want to load up the front coming into a turn (can't handle all that information coming up front).

I guess what I'm asking is this what you all are doing, if not, why not? Should I change my style? Basically, I want to do all my braking before a turn and hit it at speed instead of loading up and trailbraking through the turn (not that skilled yet). Does this make sense? Okay, at the very least, I just want to know what others are setting compression at. Sag is fine so is rebound (perfect actually). It's compression on the initial bump stroke that's concerning me...

·
I Am a Ticket Magnet
1,879 Posts
yeah i watched the link a while back... it is a good one def. worth your time...

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
5,051 Posts
Yeah, I've watched the videos too. He's all about the rebound and I agree with him. But he doesn't spend a whole lot of time on compression. Maybe 1 minute or so? Plus, the demonstration he does is on inverted forks. I have an 03, so if I really thought about it, I probably could figure it out. But it's a lot easier just to ask the forum! What has been your experience with setting compression and what kind of style do you have: cornerspeed or trail braker?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sooperman12 said:
Bringing this thread back from the past (May)!

Anyways, I think it's related... First of all, SilverSurfer, how are you doing bro? All healed up yet? The Bandit looks sweet and the RR looks as good as new.

My question is about compression. What are y'all's settings? Why did you set it like that? Right now, I feel my compression is a little stiff and it's causing the front to be a little nervous. But the reason it's where it's at is because I didn't want to load up the front coming into a turn (can't handle all that information coming up front).

I guess what I'm asking is this what you all are doing, if not, why not? Should I change my style? Basically, I want to do all my braking before a turn and hit it at speed instead of loading up and trailbraking through the turn (not that skilled yet). Does this make sense? Okay, at the very least, I just want to know what others are setting compression at. Sag is fine so is rebound (perfect actually). It's compression on the initial bump stroke that's concerning me...
I'm healing up and I found out the problem was the suspension guy set the springs too stiff causing the forks to extend all the way out under heavy accelleration and thus, causing the front to skip. That's what caused my tank slapper in turn 6 and ultimately crash.

I had the suspension set again and it seemed to be working much better. The springs are set right at the line but I'll have to check what the compression and rebound are set at.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rellim said:
www.onthethrottle.tv Click on tool box. Alittle screen drops down view 4 suspension video's on set-up. Pass it on to others. They are adding to the site so check it out regularly.
Umm, Dave Moss is the guy who set my suspension when I crashed in July.....

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
5,051 Posts
Hahaha... Prolly 'cause he was setting only your rebound. Compression has a lot to do with your steering dynamics in a turn. I agree that rebound is important, but compression is the first thing your suspension does. So, I think it's important that that initial movement be dialed in properly...

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sooperman12 said:
Hahaha... Prolly 'cause he was setting only your rebound. Compression has a lot to do with your steering dynamics in a turn. I agree that rebound is important, but compression is the first thing your suspension does. So, I think it's important that that initial movement be dialed in properly...
I'm just saying.... haha. He set it wrong. He screwed the preload down so far that the forks stayed extended under throttle which happens a lot from turn 5 to 6 at Willow. Consequently the bike got all mixed up and went slap happy on me.

Dave fixed it, but you know, it had me wondering what he's doing out there.

I know he has a GREAT reputation and he is a VERY VERY VERY likeable and good guy.

In my case, maybe he just make a err in judgement?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts