Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at a stage now in my track riding where I am maxing out the stock forks and shock on my '07 CBR600rr. Before dropping thousands on new hardware from a true race company like racetech.com or other similar company (my track ability isn't quite that refined yet!), I was wondering how interchangeable parts are between brands. Is one able to rip off 43mm inverted forks from an R6, for example, and place them on the CBR? Are supersport shocks fairly generic across the supersport brands? I ask because I did see a rear shock that was re-valved and re-sprung in my area that came off of a ZX6R that looked damn near the same as what is on the CBR.

I'm not finding much on the Googles with regards to this topic. That, and my local Kijiji does not have much in the way of motorcycle parts, definitely not race specific parts :( I have a track day coming up again here next week and will ask the locals these questions but I figured I'd throw it up here first and see what you guys have to say about it. Perhaps you guys know a website that specializes in aftermarket/used supersport parts, or am I stuck to just rebuilding the hardware that came stock on the 600rr?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Here is my recommendation: don't try and put suspension components on your motorcycle that weren't designed for it. Trying to fit forks or shock off another bike is going to cause you more harm than good and cost you more in the end.

A simple revalve/respring is a good idea if you aren't looking to break the bank. This can be done by many tuners so ask around at your local trackdays and see who the fast guys are using. If you do want to spend (invest) more money into it then there are many companies making shocks and cartridges. Ohlins, Penske, GP Suspension, K Tech, Traxxion Dynamics, etc. Once again talk to the fast guys and see what they are using because the tuners in your area might have a lot of experience with one brand and not a lot with another.

Reactions: tary preisser

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was looking at the revalve kits for the shock and forks - most economical at this point. Trying to stay away from a race suspension as I don't think I could work it hard enough to get it to that sweet spot yet, plus $2,000 CAD is almost more than I payed for the bike lol. Appreciate the input, and anyone else with insight fire away. I'm a marine outboard mechanic by trade and grew up in the drag car world so frankenstiening things together for performance is kind of normal to me; doing your own mechanical work/fabrication is half of the fun of running these machines! Fairly new to performance motorcycles though so just trying to get a feel for how "back-yard" you can get with these machines. Somehow, the motorcycle community is even smaller than the drag racing community in my area.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
The issue is that you cannot get very "back-yard" as you put it without consequences. In a road race chassis, 1-3mm either way make a significant difference and the chance that you will be in an ideal range when swapping forks or shock is slim. Not that you couldn't bolt on the parts, but that your expected performance gain would likely not be there. You don't see many frankenbikes at the track with the exception of SV650's.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Just echoing Saiyan66 here, but I'd focus on springs and valve for your forks and finding a used shock. It is a worthwhile investment even if you don't feel you are "fast enough". Do yourself a favor and invest in this area. I bought a used Elka shock for about $400 for my '07 600RR and got the front forks resprung and valved for about $400. It can be done "right" even while not breaking the bank.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Before I started racing I was lucky enough to find a used double clicker Penske shock and used Ohlins cartridges. I noticed the biggest difference with the shock at the pace I was at (I replaced shock a season before forks). I don’t think I was maxing out the oem fork setup but now my race pace has me feeling ridiculously planted with everything installed.

With that said, I was super close to sending my forks to GP Suspension and have them install their revalve kit. I don’t recall the install price but it was very reasonable…close to $100 if I recall correctly. Check that option out.

and remember you can get so much dialed in from an expert suspension baseline setup. Best of luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts