Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i've been debating to myself over and over again, whether or not i should get an sv650 (first bike) or to buy a 350z. Then i have that thing you have in the back of your head, what's that thing called again, oh yeah a conscience. It keeps telling not to spend it on anything and save up, and wait till after college. But i feel like i'll be too old by then, im 23 and won't be getting out of school until im 27 or so (masters degree in order to work).

So what do you guys think? let me hear both sides, the one's with the halo's and the one's with the devil tails.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
It keeps telling not to spend it on anything and save up, and wait till after college. But i feel like i'll be too old by then
I was there myself a little while ago... finally ended up getting my 600RR and not a single regret so far. Haha, my toss up was also between a bike (600RR) and a 350Z. Just figure out WHY you want either of them. For me it came down to I wanted something fast and sexy as hell, but I'm also in love with motorcycles. So, I came to the conclusion that since I already had a heat box for winter I'd go with 2 wheels for a toy in the summer. But let's be honest, bikes are faster and are also cheaper and easier to customize too...
Depends on what you already have and why it is you want either of them. Think about that

By the way, this was my first bike as well

·
Registered
476 Posts
350Zs get expensive with upkeep depending on if the car you get has problems or not. I use to have one and there are lots of problems with SOME 03s and as years go up they manage to fix some but more weight is added per year.

Problems include window problems and dead window motors, tire feathering issue. Those are some problems I can think of off the top of my head.

I would say go for the bike and get a better car later on when your out of school, obviously you dont care about space since you are looking at a bike and a 2 seater. Get bike now and get some experience and save up extra for your future and future car with extra seats cuz I would hate to see you regret getting that car and you might have a family in the near future.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I definitely wouldn't buy a car like that if you're concerned about money for school. The insurance on my WRX is pretty bad, and I'm assuming a 350Z would be even worse.

The bike isn't a bad idea if you're looking for a fun hobby for (relatively) cheap. You can find nice SV's all day long for $4000, and with another $500~800 you can have some decent gear.

I would say to save your money (as it would be the rational thing to do), but I know that I'd probably go for the bike.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Do you have a car now? Do you have a bike? Are you paying cash or financing?

If you already have a car then just buy a cheap bike...you can find SV for next to nothing. Check insurance rates first.

·
Registered
130 Posts
You can't meet in the middle and buy a cheaper car (civic si, svt focus, sentra se-r) and have the SV??????
That's what I would do. Or get a truck to haul the bike if needed.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
That's what I would do. Or get a truck to haul the bike if needed.
+1 that's what I did, got me a brand new looking 2003 mazda truck for 8000 and got a 2005 rr for 8500, total 16500. Its like I bought a new small car. So I got the speed and thrills and I don't have to borrow somebody else's truck for trips to the shop+ transportation in the off season..

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i drive a 97 corolla right now, since i do a lot of commuting for school. i have been thinking about getting a bike (the sv, paid in cash), then finance a little truck, probably a used one.

what do you guys think of that idea, but the only thing is that i wont be able to save money really.

·
Registered
534 Posts
well i drive a 97 corolla right now, since i do a lot of commuting for school. i have been thinking about getting a bike (the sv, paid in cash), then finance a little truck, probably a used one.

what do you guys think of that idea, but the only thing is that i wont be able to save money really.
if you won't be able to save money then i say NO. your in college. its nice to have what you want but more important to have your money straight for school. wants<priorities.. if you find a cheap bike then i say go for it but pay in cash. I would drive that corolla in the ground into you finish school.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts

bro, i drive a 94 toyota celica (daily commuter) which is in great shape and is somewhat modified. the bike is just for fun and thrills. seeing that ur 23 and on a budget, the 350z is an expensive car and not a good idea right now imo. even a used one is probably around $20k or so. plus insurance and then some.

i suggest get a used bike (an SV650, RR, or F4i) coz u can get a nice used one between $4-6k. then when the bike is paid, u can get a truck or suv later on. the 350z is a nice car and i love them, but they are simply too pricey right now. ur only 23 so plenty of time for u to get nice cars later.

·
Registered
341 Posts
get a sv650. they are very fun bikes I owned one for 3 months and it was great! (i upgraded to 600rr). my girl has a sv650 and they are quite fun...and get awesome gas mileage!

mine was an ex-track bike and with the upgraded susp. jet kit etc it was qutie a beast
\
^yeah i drive a shitty 90 celica with 150,000. it runs find and that's all that matters to me. bikes come first

also motorcycles are more convenient on college campuses (parking)

·
Registered
396 Posts
i think all your answers will be get the bike. It's cheaper and a whole lot more fun than the a car. The 350 is nice but doesn't give you the same level of fun. but as far as practicality is concerned the bike is not as practical as a car. i would get the bike and a really cheap daily commuter if you need a car. ask the same question on a 350 forum and see what they say. i bet you get some bike replies.

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
5,051 Posts
Finish school. Concentrate on that. Material things fade. Today's hot thing is tomorrow's fallen glory. The one thing that returns profitable is the investment you make in yourself. I know that sounds cheesy. The Z is a piece of junk. My friend and my cousin each have one. Each of them is cheap inside and out. Unless you need a mode of transportation, save the money. Finish your education. Buy a HOUSE... Then, you can buy whatever you want and roll it into a home equity loan, interest is tax deductible. Don't make the same mistake I made... I should have bought the house first!

·
Registered
341 Posts
my friend had a 05 350z track (6speed)

sucked ass. wasnt that fast. and the rear end was creakin with only 15k on it. it didnt handle to well either. it was like a fat pig. i mean sure it looked nice on the outside.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks guys i posted this on a 350z forum, like caball88 suggested.

well most of them pretty much said the same thing most people here said as well. About looking at your priorities, the needs/budget/and then want's. Everyone's opinion really helped a lot and i thank all you guys for sharing.

i've just been getting really tempted at spending my money on something nice. Because for some reason i always see people my age with nice cars already especially at school (cal state), makes me feel like i haven't accomplished anything in life (which i know is stupid, because thats the whole reason im going to school for).

Thanks again guys, i'm going to most likely save my money and invest it. Holding off on a bike and a nice car is probably the most logical thing to do in my situation.

And by the way quoting sooperman12, "Material things fade. Today's hot thing is tomorrow's fallen glory. The one thing that returns profitable is the investment you make in yourself.", it doesn't sound cheesy at all, i'm going to remember this saying. thanks

Thanks again everyone.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts