Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a pair of swingarm spools for my bike to use with my motorcycle stand. A simple install that should take about 5 minutes has turned into something more. I knew this would be an issue and should have posted it before.

I knew the previous owner and had known that the bike had been dropped. From the pictures you can tell it slid a bit. The issue is that I am unable to get the bolt into the swingarm to use the spools. It seems the thread inside is fine I just need to figure out the best way to remove some of the metal blocking the hole. My first though but might not be right is to take a drill bit and work at removing the excess metal. I do not think I have a file that I can use (though I could just go and get one).

You can see what I am talking about with the pictures that I have attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's not that simple to screw it in from behind. I tried with the current bolt and it went in most of the way but as it got closer it was harder to turn and also hard to get the Allen wrench in there to use to turn it. I did not want to get it stuck and not be able to get it out.

My parents have a tap and die set. It is just the first two or three threads. I figure I can get it started then see if I can get the bolt in after that.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Get a stainless steel bolt with the right length, or use a tap from the back.
Find a rod that you can tap that chunk of aluminum out from behind.
Maybe an allen wrench will do.
Use a cutting oil. WD40 would do.
Turn as you would a tap, threading in until it tightens, then back out, then in again.
Repeating until it cuts through.
Using another bolt will allow you to use a wrench and allow more room and better control.
Using the correct tap would be ideal.
A bolt with a hex head, not allen.

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
if you had the right tools you could remove that chunk of alu. small files and picks.... cheapo's at harbor freight would do the job

be careful that you have the right size tap if you go that way. its metric thread pitch....

IMO Shoichiro gave good tapping advice, it's important to "break the chip" when tapping....forward 1/4-1/2 turn, then back 1/4 turn or so....and use a bit of oil!

GL

·
Registered
849 Posts
It looks much better.
You may be able to get it started from the facing side.
It just seems like threading in from the inner side would be much easier and give you the leverage of utilizing all the good threads available.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Try to clear off the threads in the front more.
Just try to tap the pieces out of the threads with a small flat blade screwdriver.
Then work the bolt in from the back.
Just keep spraying a little WD40 and it'll go, it just takes time to work past it.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Cool. Was going to warn you away from swingarm spool sliders since those are even less fun to deal with after a crash than cleaning up a thread. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts