Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am getting lots of swirls and fine lines and scratches in my plastic everywhere like on the tail section and rear cowl, and on the ram air covers.

Why do I have all these fine little swirls and lines? I tried waxing them away but they seem to be everywhere. What are you guys using to wash it? I can't think it's my washing sponge (damn, what's it called) causing them, but it's annoying me because they are everywhere.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Try some Plexus???

·
Registered
799 Posts
if not careful, microfiber WILL scratch your paint.

·
Registered
799 Posts
It's good for removing wax/polish, to remove swirls you have to use a mild clear coat polish follwed by some wax(yellow carnuba). if you just use a glaze type wax your just masking the swirls, then when you wash or wipe your bike latter you will see the swirls again. It's kinda hard to explain but when you see a scratch your actually looking at light being reflected off the suface. so to get rid of swirls the right way your actually cutting very little into the paint to refract the light into other directions.

·
Registered
688 Posts
i think that it is inevitable, so i just dont worry about it. as far as washing the bike, ive seen a dealer pressure wash a bike and to dry it they used an air compressor. it turned out looking really really good.

·
Registered
417 Posts
highside101 said:
Just replace the body work once a year.
HAhahahaha problem solved...anyways yeah you must have a black bike...that kind of stuff comes with the territory. I live with most of them, otherwise you are gonna be cleaning more than riding!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Do you dip your "sponge/rag" in a bucket? If so then all your doing is mixing it back up in dirt all over again and scratching your paint.

I never use a bucket, I just put the soap on the rag when wet and was the PLASTICS ONLY with that rag, onyl dong a small section at a time. Then I Rinse off the rag THROUGHLY and put more soap on it and continue until all the PLASTIC is clean.

Then I use a different rag for my Rims and other areas! Then I follow up with a really good waxing, darn, I think I need to was my baby!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Go to Autopia.org and learn how to wash your car/bike safely, keeping dirty and grit from abrading the surface of the paint.

That said, Hondas bike paint is very soft and marrs easily.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
1. wash the bike with warm gentle car soap water.
2. polish with honda spray or plexus plastic polish to fill the swirls
3. glaze with mcguires show glaze for that mirror look.
4. turtle "ICE" wax for a protective wax job without leaving any residue.
5. optional: let dry repeat #4 for double layer of wax.
6. go riding

caveat: don't let that wax get on your seat. it'll make your seat really slippery.

·
Registered
577 Posts
mikespike2 said:
I tried waxing them away but they seem to be everywhere. What are you guys using to wash it?
I know exactly what you mean. I got the same stuff all over my black tribal. I used this:

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-PC&Category_Code=Zaino

Helped out alot. Looks almost new again.

As far as washing, I follow all of the Zaino instructions on all their products to the "T" followed up with some Gloss enhancer. Worked great on the car so I started applying to the bike. YOu'll be amazed.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
mikespike2 said:
So I am getting lots of swirls and fine lines and scratches in my plastic everywhere like on the tail section and rear cowl, and on the ram air covers.

Why do I have all these fine little swirls and lines? I tried waxing them away but they seem to be everywhere. What are you guys using to wash it? I can't think it's my washing sponge (damn, what's it called) causing them, but it's annoying me because they are everywhere.
I get this funny feeling that you have a black bike. Am I correct? If so, get used to it...the black is hell to take care of cosmetically. I have had two black cars and will NEVER buy black again. I have an all siver 06 CBR and you can't see anything..not even when it is dirty. I'm sure there are swirls in my paint, but there is no way you will see them on silver glitter paint. All I can say is that it is the price you pay for gettting black. If you don't have black...disregard what I said. =-) I don't know about the other colors...but silver is the best when it comes to these issues. I don't wash my bike. I don't believe in using water to spray off a bike unless it is a dirt bike and at that no high pressure. I use Ice detailer spray and Honda Polish with a microfiber towel. I use simple green and WD40 for the wheels, swingarm, etc. I wax once every couple of months with Mothers Carnauba cleaner/wax. I also use Vinylex for some of the black plastic pieces. I use TriFlow for lubing the cables, kickstand, and footpegs. Well...spit works also for some things too!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.