Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding street bikes since I was 15. I have owned everything from a 600 cbr F3, Yamaha R6 to a 600RR.

I am making the switch because my riding style is changing. A lot of my friends are taking longer trips and anything past 2 hours my back starts to hurt from being hunched over. In short, I want a more comfortable ride. I do realize I am going to give up power, but the comfort will be a nice trade off. Next year all the boys are riding down to the Florida Keys from Oklahoma City, and that is a long long ride that I would never try on my street bike.

Now, my question is what should I look for? I have been looking at the Honda VTX 1300, Yamaha V-star 1300. Those Harleys are crazy in price does anyone think they are worth it???? Please don't bash me, I'm just looking for some help and I am hoping some of you have made the transition. I am not giving up street bikes for around town, so don't start calling me a sissy :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
get a boulevard

·
Registered
869 Posts
I have conteplated switching over myself. There are no twisties around here and long rides are the future. The only bike I would get is the M109. The thing looks like a 20,000 dollar motorcycle and has gobs of power. Did I mention the 240 rear tire?

liquid cooled, Fuel injection more then most cruisers have standard. You are paying for the name when you buy a Harley...not the bike. I would never even consider purchasing a Harley, air cooled carbed POS

·
Registered
869 Posts
They have this color at the local Suzuki dealer as a left over 07. I am on the verge of buying it. 12,000 out the door with a 400 dollar M109 leather jacket. Stay away outlaw! LOL

And the thing comes with a rear seat cowl and a seat.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Get yourself a Yamaha YZF600R. Its a sportsbike with the comfort of a tourer. Still enough power to keep up with most sportsbikes, but you can ride it for hours and free great.

If you still want a cruiser, the V-stars are a much better bike for a lot less money than the Harley's. My wife has a V-star and it is a great bike. I can't get used to sitting back with my feet up in the cruiser position though, lol.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Is there a way to find a used cruiser for a good price? I have a V-star 1100 and dont ride it very much. The responsiveness and overall feel after being on the rr is sooooo poor. I like it but the 600 is so much more fun.

I like the idea of a sport touring also. There are a lot of nice ones out there.

If it has to be a cruiser I would stick with one of the jap bikes. I just dont think Harleys are worth what they get for them. Nice bikes but you could keep your 600 and find a nice used cruiser for the price of a Harley.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
187 Posts
They have this color at the local Suzuki dealer as a left over 07. I am on the verge of buying it. 12,000 out the door with a 400 dollar M109 leather jacket. Stay away outlaw! LOL

And the thing comes with a rear seat cowl and a seat.

HAWT!!!:rocker:

·
Get Jiggy with it
6,178 Posts
sooner.... As someone that rides both I can give you some personal input.

If your "really" wanting to make the switch and your gonna be doing long trips with all your buddies on cruisers then I would highly recommend you stay away from the VFR's ZX14's and such. Not because they are not fitting for the trips, but because being on a sportbike(of any kind) and riding with a bunch of guys on cruisers really isn't to much fun at all...you will always feel like your leaving them behind and they will always feel the same way.
Plain & Simple.......It's just different!!!

To me, the M109 is an awesome bike and I would love to have one myself bike but not for making trips. The M109 to me is more of a beast for cruising more then a trip maker.
Someone else mentioned a HD VROD, another kickass bike but i have ridden one and know someone who bought one and sold it in less then a year. Like the M109 the VROD is a kickass machine but not very comfortable for the long haul.
For what it seems your wanting I would recommend a few different bikes.

1. if you have the money I would highly recommend a Victory. They have awesome power and still look great and you won't look like your on a "geezer glider" like people do on harleys.

2. The honda VTX line up is a sure winner if you ask me.. either the 1300 or 1800 wont leave you disappointed.... I know a few 1300 owners and I have personally ridden the 1800 and I ASSURE you that after comming off a sportbike the 1800 will be the logical answer. (to me)
Keep in mind that the 1300 is a single pin and will vibrate alot more.
I have also ridden the Intruder 1500, i think it's an 04-05(now the Boulevard) and that is one powerful and comfortable bike.... I ride with someone that owns one,an older guy, and he never EVER complains about comfort on it, neither does his wife.
The bike is a monster but very attractive!
There are also other options like the RoadStar which I like for the simple fact that there is a never ending abundance of aftermarket parts so you can make it your own.
My other bike is a 1995 Honda ACE 1100 with a few hundred miles shy of 50,000 miles on the clock and it's still purring like a kitten, I love this bike to death , from 95-98 these bikes were also made with the single pin so my ACE vibrates as nice as the HD's and actually fools alot of people... You can pick up 98-2000 1100 ACE(shadow) for $5K and you'll have yourself a great bike with money to spare.
Alot of people on here will try and talk you out of a cruiser but trust me when I tell you that allthough I love my RR, If i had to make a choice my 95 ACE would stay!! Besides all this, the wife feels alot safer and likes to ride on the cruiser where she can kick back and enjoy the scenery.

I do love the fact that I can hop on either or......I like having both!

This is "my" personal advice so take it for what it is,
but I have been around both styles of riding for quite some time so I think i can give you a decent prespective on the two.
go to a huge dealership that sells multiple brands and sit on a few and see what fits you, with a cruiser, comfort is the key, not speed!

P.S.
Don't go get the biggest and badest cruiser just to look cool, Although just as fun,riding a cruiser in the twisties is an entirely different ball game.

I can take VTX 1800's allday long at the gap on my 1100 ...
(they don't have very good clearance) LMAO

FLAME ON WHORES!!!!!!!!!

WHAT A SQUID!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts