Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah so back when I was looking for a way to protect my bike without cutting the fairings so I came across the infamous T-Rex no-cut frame slider kit for my 06. The kit came with hardware the seemed pretty beefy having two steel brackets, the pucks, bases, a support bar and the hardware. Installation was ok at best and required cutting of the rectifier bracket not to mention one of the spacers provided was not the right size and had to go out and find a replacement. Once it was all installed it seemed pretty solid. Well, running late for work the other day I parked my bike in a spot not realizing it was that "soft" blacktop that gets even "softer" when its really hot out. Well 30 min into the shift I get a page to go and check my bike and go outside to find it laying on its side. I picked it up and saw that the kickstand had sunk into the blacktop and is also where I noticed the T-Rex kit is a complete fail. Not only did it not do its job but the kit is now no longer able to be used. When the bike fell over the first bracket bent and was just a few mm from taking a nice chunk out of my engine casing. And the force that bent the first bracket was transferred to the other side via the support bar snapping the other bracket like a twig and nearly took out my radiator as well. It also cracked my tail fairing bent my clutch side short lever and scuffed up my ebay Driven D3 knockoffs. But what gets me is that when the bike falls this way(its happened to my bike before and seen it happen to others) it gradually sinks into the pavement and then falls at about the halfway point from its upright parked position which means the force of the impact is somewhat reduced but this kit could not even handle that. So, with all that being said I'm cutting my fairings and switching to Woodcraft frame sliders. I'm just hoping this little horror story helps steer err lean others who are thinking of getting no-cuts in the right direction...

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
:needpics:

Had to do it.

·
Registered
837 Posts
wow it bent just from a fall over??? Looks like im getting new sliders lol

·
Registered
837 Posts
and thats why we all say to buy the cut sliders...
oh? do you ALL say that? thanks for the tip.. :crackup:

Probably going to go woodcraft of spiegler LSL

·
Registered
436 Posts
wow that sucks and I was just looking at the no cuts the other day and thinking about getting them. Thanks for the post looks like I will not be getting the no cut frame sliders after all.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah one bracket bent and the other broke at the weld. And it was just from falling over. From the look of things and how close it was to damaging my engine from the fall I dont see this kit protecting anything in the event of a crash and actually doing more damage then good. I've never posted pics on forums like these but I'll take some tomorrow and give it a try.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The no cut sliders are made to be a one shot deal, they bend on their first impact (atleast thats what I read). I am just shocked they didn't really protect that much, especially from a stand still.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Yeah well they are pretty long, which gives them more leverage, then being on the bracket gives them yet even more leverage so you're pretty much asking to toss your bike into a flip or damage your engine mounts or even the engine itself. Woodcraft and ones like the LSL and lower profiles and directly bolted into the engine mount and engine case respectively

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
Yeah so back when I was looking for a way to protect my bike without cutting the fairings so I came across the infamous T-Rex no-cut frame slider kit for my 06. The kit came with hardware the seemed pretty beefy having two steel brackets, the pucks, bases, a support bar and the hardware. Installation was ok at best and required cutting of the rectifier bracket not to mention one of the spacers provided was not the right size and had to go out and find a replacement. Once it was all installed it seemed pretty solid. Well, running late for work the other day I parked my bike in a spot not realizing it was that "soft" blacktop that gets even "softer" when its really hot out. Well 30 min into the shift I get a page to go and check my bike and go outside to find it laying on its side. I picked it up and saw that the kickstand had sunk into the blacktop and is also where I noticed the T-Rex kit is a complete fail. Not only did it not do its job but the kit is now no longer able to be used. When the bike fell over the first bracket bent and was just a few mm from taking a nice chunk out of my engine casing. And the force that bent the first bracket was transferred to the other side via the support bar snapping the other bracket like a twig and nearly took out my radiator as well. It also cracked my tail fairing bent my clutch side short lever and scuffed up my ebay Driven D3 knockoffs. But what gets me is that when the bike falls this way(its happened to my bike before and seen it happen to others) it gradually sinks into the pavement and then falls at about the halfway point from its upright parked position which means the force of the impact is somewhat reduced but this kit could not even handle that. So, with all that being said I'm cutting my fairings and switching to Woodcraft frame sliders. I'm just hoping this little horror story helps steer err lean others who are thinking of getting no-cuts in the right direction...

sorry for your troubles, and this is the exact reason i think no cuts are worthless

i have seen more threads about the bracket bending, and either causing more damage, or just simply not doing a damn thing but tucking the puck in further allowing more damange than should have happened.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its definitely a lesson learned. I could call T-Rex up and send them the bracket back and get a replacement but I'm definitely taking this kit out when my Woodcrafts arrive and I'll take pics of the broken and bent brackets then. I should take pics of their no-cut kit sitting in my trash can and send them one showing them where their kit belongs. 100 dollars down the drain...

·
Registered
837 Posts
Isn't the impact from falling over from near upright going to be greater than a lowside?
alot of variables to consider. Force is equal to mass times velocity. The bike falling over is 350 lbs falling at the speed that gravity pulls in down for that split second. Falling in motion is that 350 lbs times how ever fast you were going, so it could be a considerable greater force acting on the slider. Of course the bike falling in motion would probably fall from a lesser hight being most crashes happen in a lean, but then there the dragging force acting on the slider which also depends on the speed and weight of the bike. suffice it to say, its really all situation dependent :crackup:

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
alot of variables to consider. Force is equal to mass times velocity. The bike falling over is 350 lbs falling at the speed that gravity pulls in down for that split second. Falling in motion is that 350 lbs times how ever fast you were going, so it could be a considerable greater force acting on the slider. Of course the bike falling in motion would probably fall from a lesser hight being most crashes happen in a lean, but then there the dragging force acting on the slider which also depends on the speed and weight of the bike. suffice it to say, its really all situation dependent :crackup:
I understand basic physics fine. Assuming the bike falls on flat ground and is traveling forward, the speed the bike is traveling has no effect on the force of the impact of the bike falling to the side. Obviously once the bike is sliding, hitting objects will exert a lot of force on the slider.

I don't see how the speed the bike falls over has any relation to the speed the bike is traveling forward.

·
Registered
14,362 Posts
Don't forget, they're all FRAME sliders. Not plastics sliders, or swingarm sliders. Some people get great results with no cuts, others have issues with their bike tumbling because of the cut sliders during a slide.

I take my chances with the cut sliders, Woodcraft and others work for me.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I understand basic physics fine. Assuming the bike falls on flat ground and is traveling forward, the speed the bike is traveling has no effect on the force of the impact of the bike falling to the side. Obviously once the bike is sliding, hitting objects will exert a lot of force on the slider.

I don't see how the speed the bike falls over has any relation to the speed the bike is traveling forward.
ok so by that logic if you were standing there and i pushed you over onto the floor vs if we were in a car going 70mph and i pushed you out of the car, you don't think there would be a difference in the force of the initial impact relative to the energy of the forward momentum?

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
ok so by that logic if you were standing there and i pushed you over onto the floor vs if we were in a car going 70mph and i pushed you out of the car, you don't think there would be a difference in the force of the initial impact relative to the energy of the forward momentum?

id far rather fall off a 20' ladder than out of a car @ 70 mph ;)

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have decided not to bother with frame sliders as whilst they would work fine on a track, on the normal road they are 90% likely to catch some object or street furniture and flip the bike or rip the engine casing causing much more damage.

Of course you cant forsee every eventuality but Im not convinced.

·
Registered
321 Posts
ps - the forward speed of the bike will have little or no effect ... but the bike is highly unlikely to free fall from fully upright to flat on its side when moving, far more likely to be already leaned over to a greater or lesser extent before it hits the deck carrys on sliding, that is what sliders are for, not bumpers.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts