Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my friend is having a problem and his tach doesnt work. What could be the reasons? and how can it be fixed?

thanks guys

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Have you done any troubleshooting yet? Checked fuses, connections, is the bike on?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Has he had the bike apart lately? Maybe unplugged the plug in the back of the display?

Sent from my Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
try turning the key. if that doesnt work make sure the bike is in neutral, the red switch is in the ON position, then turn the key again. still nothing?

ok i know im not funny (was gonna reccoment checking the fuel but ill probably be beaten to a pulp by then)

The tacho meter only or the HISS light, bright and oil light as well. clock still working? probably a lose connection?

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Can be that the tacho is unplugged or the plug is loose... or even a fuse...

Is it the only thing that is not working???

Are lights and blinkers OK??

Reactions: Gashuffer

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
^ that's what I was thinking. I know I've had issues with my tach, fuel gage and some other random lights on my cluster because the 50 pin (or whatever it is) plug in the back wasn't fully seated.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will check for all of those. I believe the lights all work. I also believe the speedo works and just the rpm meter doesnt work. Ideas? Will it cost to fix alot?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have (had) the same problem.

I did my research and here's what I came up with (fron fellow members on different threads) :

1) Check the back of the gauge pod. Its fairly commonplace for them to wiggle out.
2) Check fuses. All of them.
3) Check the ECU. Plug and unplug the ECU. If you have a spare ECU or a friend with one, try it.
4) Remove gauge pod. Check the pins to see if any are bent or non-existent.

I did all that and my tach still didn't work. I bought a new gauge pod and it fixed the problem. Still can't put my finger on the problem. I'll probably end up taking the old gauges apart to see if anything is catching the RPM needle or if anythings burned out.

Hope your friend fixes his issue! Happy riding!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks lobster for your help.
It is just the tach, was yours just the tach too?
How much does a new cluster cost? and where is a good place to get them?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks lobster for your help.
It is just the tach, was yours just the tach too?
How much does a new cluster cost? and where is a good place to get them?
Mine was just the tach. Mileage worked, gas gauge worked, lights illuminated.

When I got the bike, the RPM needle was stuck at 2,000 and when I'd rev the bike, the needle would wiggle ever so slightly.

A new cluster on eBay can run 150-300+ dollars. Locally on Craigslist shows many more (I found 3 when I was looking) for a lot lower. I got mine off Craigslist for 100 dollars. Works fine now!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Also beware when buying a new gauge cluster. I located a 2007 gauge cluster and searched on the forums to see if it'll fit. People said it uses the same plug and will fit perfectly. They claimed plug and play but they never told me that the main stay bracket would not line up with the mounting holes. I discovered this after I bought it.

So in other words, don't buy a 2007+ gauge unless you plan on cutting your main stay bracket like I did.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts