Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
I took the it like 2 years ago, and now the Air Force is making me take it again so I can ride on base, I didn't take one of their official sponsored ones, so I am taking mine next weekend....again, lol

·
Registered
232 Posts
I took it in AZ and it was two days, saturday and sunday. The test and riding portion are extremly easy. You should have no problems.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Be sure to turn on the gas! That's the only reason I had to put my foot down in the figure 8 during the test. I forgot to turn the gas on, and it died in the middle of both u turns. It didn't really help that the trainer always used my bike for demonstrations and wasn't consistent about turning it off himself.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I just got done taking the MSF class yesterday. I got 100% on the written and 100% on the driving!! Woo-Hoo!

It was a blast, I was on a 250 Ninja for the whole class. I HIGHLY recommend it to anybody that's new to bikes.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Just relax and practice what the instructors told you. I was on a buell blast and found the test to be easy. The majority of the people had trouble in the figure 8 cones - it's all about the right speed (not too fast nor too slow.)

Good luck - You can do it!

·
Registered
388 Posts
yea, relax man. I took mine last summer and the hardest thing was doing figure 8's. people were stopping and still passed the test even though personally I don't think half the dudes in my class should have passed. i was on some crappy old honda, you'll learn alot that will help you with urban riding. make sure you pay attention though and don't think every test is a joke just because your good at it. use your head, stay focused, take it seriously.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I kept turning up the idle up on my Honda Nighthawk 250 and it made everything a lot easier. Something was wrong with my bike, though, b/c it kept dying every time I took off from a stop. There were 2 people that fell during the training part of the class, but neither fell during the test, so they both passed, but the instructor told them he strongly recommended they only ride in a parking lot for a WHILE.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
i think the only way you could fail the msf course is if you really dont give an eff about it or you are way tooo nervous to even get on a bike. but people who take the course have a good head and wanna learn.

·
Registered
388 Posts
SPR SLO said:
I kept turning up the idle up on my Honda Nighthawk 250 and it made everything a lot easier. Something was wrong with my bike, though, b/c it kept dying every time I took off from a stop. There were 2 people that fell during the training part of the class, but neither fell during the test, so they both passed, but the instructor told them he strongly recommended they only ride in a parking lot for a WHILE.
yea, i don't understand how they pass these people. there are some people that simply don't belong on a bike and you watch them shaking your head. personally, I'd fail alot of people being that in VA you get you license if you pass the class. not saying that if you fall you should fail but people that get nervous and go way outside the cones on turns and stuff simply need more practice cuz if that was a real road they'd be turning into oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I agree, the first person that fell was a guy approx 20-25 yoa that wanted to learn b/c his buddies all had bikes. He made his mistake on the first day while doing the large oval right hand turns. He grabbed the front brake hard going into the turn, and low sided. The other was a barely english speaking female who's hubby had just upgraded from a Shadow to a Hardley, and she was learning to she could ride the Shadow. She was coming around after finishing the skill, and grabbed the front brake while turning left to get back in line. We had to keep stopping drills both days for her b/c she had horrible balance and even worse skills with her hand coordination. The other 2 guys were older and very cocky, but at least they were there to brush up on their skills since they were returning riders from their early years. The other was a dike female who wanted to be able to ride on base in San Diego with her buds. Those 3 had a little experience, so they weren't horrible, and I had had my bike for a few months at that point. I took it all serious, my big problem was just getting used to the different riding position and not being able to trust those skinny little tires on the slick a$$ black top.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Im doing mine here in about 2 months.. I have to do it on my 600RR though.. Hope those figure 8's wont be too bad!! I dont htink it'l lbe much of a problem though

·
Registered
83 Posts
Seems like it would be fairly simple overall. Can you stay in first gear?

Believe me if I think something seems simple, thats saying alot as i am just learning and still very scared of the bike.

Lol.. top speed still 74 for me!

What i have done the most of at this point is ride slow in first gear, lol, now if they wanted me to open it up Id be nervous!

Cant get into a class till next month, but I cant wait, just to learn all i can!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I stayed in first, held about 4K rpms, and just feathered the clutch to control my speed. If you stay in 1st and dont use the clutch, its much too jerky when you come on and off throttle... and second may be too fast for you...

Just practice feathering the clutch in 1st gear, and you'll be fine... I aced the test this way, so I'm sure you can do the same with a little practice.

Also, practice your quick stops as much as you can.

Use both front and back brakes. As soon as you start braking, and the weight is shifting forward, progressively squeeze the front brake more and more. The idea is to have the wheel "just" at the point its about to lock up as you come to a stop. Don't forget to downshift into first gear as you're doing this, or they'll dock points, too.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Warp_Speed said:
When you take the course do you have to use your own bike or do they provide bikes for you?
On the Basic MSF couse they give you the bike, normally a 250 cc one, eventhough I heard some use up to 500. After I took mine Instructor told me that advenced MSF cource is vary similar to basic with the addition of a few more drills, but you have to use your own bike. MSF couse was a blast, test was pretty easy compared to DOL. Yes I took both. I learned to ride myself by reading books and stuff, and took DOL test and got license that way. DOL test was harder than I expected, there was 7 or 8 drills (tests) that you had to pass, MSF only gives you 4. Than was deployed for a year, and when back bought my 600RR and took MSF course to get some formal training. Great class, pretty easy test. Enjoy!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts