Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Many racers do that to save weight. Even R1 guys. If you upgrade pads and and fluid to prevent fade, it works fine.

Ultimate determination of braking force and mininim distance is front tyre's traction. That doesn't change with one brake or two.

This 12-yr old girl was beating up on litre-bikes couple years ago @ Sears Point Sonoma. Single front brake didn't hurt her times at all.

·
Registered
358 Posts
The only racing I can think of where one caliper wouldn’t be an issue is drag racing. If you’re riding on track then you would be crazy to remove a caliper, you’re braking performance would be halved.
I ride on track regularly and have racing pads and upgraded brake fluid and still get the lever coming back a little compared to cold.
The 12 year old girl you have pictured is riding a no bigger than 125cc light race bike weighing about 100kg and she probably weighs half that so the bike only needs one caliper and disc. A 600 weighs about 170kg plus at least 80kg for the rider plus the bike goes faster.

She was going well because she was a far better rider than those on the thousands and on a lighter lower powered bike you can run a higher corner speed than a big bike and you don’t need to brake as much.

Removing a caliper for track riding would be utter madness unless competing for a Darwin Award.

·
Registered
311 Posts
When I think about mods the last things I want would make the bike less effective or safe. If someone wants to take of a caliper and rotor for aesthetics then they're better suited for a non-sportbike and just get a bobber or cafe or cruiser. If I'm trying to pull down from the 130mph these things can do on a back straight then I want all the consistent and predictable braking that I can get.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts