Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I am going to be crucified with this post but I have to ask. I am going to be powdercoating my wheel to complete my repsol replica. The problem is I have no Bike Stand at this point and is being given to me as a christmas gift. I am sometimes impatient but I am wondering is there a way to take the wheels off without stands. Please take it easy on me, I had to ask.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Yep, you can, you can either jack it up with a car jack from under the headers (be careful). Or you can lean the bike up on the kickstand, then put some 2x4s under the header so the rear stays up when you lean it back down.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
DO NOT do what he said^ and jack it up by the header. very stupid idea.

u can use some blocks of wood and get a buddy to lift the front end while u remove the wheel and set it down on the blocks. (set it on the fork leg bottoms)

or u can use a large strap and hang it from a rafter beam in your garage (if available)

·
Registered
244 Posts
You can also hang it from the ceiling of your shop.

·
Registered
496 Posts
DO NOT do what he said^ and jack it up by the header. very stupid idea.

u can use some blocks of wood and get a buddy to lift the front end while u remove the wheel and set it down on the blocks. (set it on the fork leg bottoms)

or u can use a large strap and hang it from a rafter beam in your garage (if available)
How bout not being an *******? Not a stupid idea, when you do mechanical design work every day for a living and have supported a bike by the headers many times, then come back and tell me it's a bad idea.

Experience > your guesses.

K

·
0 Posts
How bout not being an *******? Not a stupid idea, when you do mechanical design work every day for a living and have supported a bike by the headers many times, then come back and tell me it's a bad idea.

i attempted to support the bike by the headers when i did my front end tear down and abandoned the idea because the exhaust pipes were being incrementally crushed.

Experience > your guesses... right?:01_bitchs

·
Registered
178 Posts

hmm headers that are prolly around 1-2 mm thick supporting +200lbs of weight..... yeah i don't think so

K

·
0 Posts
**IN THE GEEETOOOOOO!!!**
**IN THE GEEETTOOOOOO!!!**

that's a pretty functionally getto stand right thur...

·
Registered
496 Posts
i attempted to support the bike by the headers when i did my front end tear down and abandoned the idea because the exhaust pipes were being incrementally crushed.

Experience > your guesses... right?:01_bitchs
Gee who would have thought the location you load the pipe would matter.

·
Registered
496 Posts
hmm headers that are prolly around 1-2 mm thick supporting +200lbs of weight..... yeah i don't think so
Okay, have you ever kickstand turned a bike? did you have to lift 200LBS to do it? No, same concept with the jack.

If you try to lift near the front of the bike on the kickstand side, yeah you will probably bend them. Thats why you put the jack far back and to the right side. Very little force is required to tip the bike up. The kickstand and front tire hold the majority of the weight.

K

·
0 Posts
Gee who would have thought the location you load the pipe would matter.
it was about as far forward as you could get before the vertical bend. any further forward and i risked slipping... which would have ended up with a 2x4 on the ground and a jack in my oil pan.

awesome. awesome i didn't go through with it. i just hung it from the rafters. worked beautifully.

K

·
0 Posts
^ I'm not really sure what i'm looking at...

also, i'm of the thinking it was more than 200 lbs... i know i know, example given, example produced... what IS the crush weight of the stainless pipes? I don't think they're 1mm think either...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts