Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cruising home just a few miles away on a two lane that was bumpy. A huge gust of wind caught me and forced a left-handed lean as I was nearing a slight left hand curve. As the wind forced my lean, I hit a bump. I think the bump was in this off camber curve, but I'm not sure. I just know that I went into a tankslapper that will forever change my life. I almost died last sunday (today is friday) and I am still hurting in the hospital. I have blood on my lungs and a bruised liver and kidneys. I'm going to make it but I wanted to post on here and say for all to drive safely! And the $450 that I "didn't have" for a steering damper is money I should've found.

The Lord is continuing to bless me with my recovery, though this 23 year old body is feeling like it's 80+. Live your lives for the Lord and He will bless you, in this life and the next.

-yow!

·
C.A.H.N founder / President
11,188 Posts
Glad to hear you are still around. I dread the day I get my first tankslapper.Hopefully getting a GPR soon.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Good thing your ok. I bet your were mad scared.

I'm a fairly new rider and I've seen a few video post of some serious tankslapping crashes. Whats the best way to avoid that kinda situation? Anything I can buy to keep steering more controllable, or is it a skill = bike recovery type of thing.

·
Registered
865 Posts
i got into a tankslapper on my sv650s..i think the most important thing is to keep your cool. i remember shifting my weight to the front and gradualy gasing out of it. it was the scariest experience in my life, i was lucky to recover from it. i hope you get well soon dood. take cares.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Get better and God bless you for the post...

I havent experienced a slapper yet but then again it only takes one time...

Best of the best

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
i'm sorry to hear that bro. get well soon. how fast were you going?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Get well soon. I always suggest that you put one on. In NYC the streets and roads are like Crap. I have had a few close calls from the roads being so F'ed up. My Scotts was the first thing I ordered and put on after I got my 600 RR.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Glad to hear you made it through it!!
I know exactly what your saying, I also experienced a tankslapper getting on the highway with the RR (did not save it either). Very scary & helpless feeling!! Get well soon & ride safe peeps!!

·
Registered
336 Posts
That is the reason I bought my SS. All my friends think I am wasting my money but I tell them a trip to the hospital is a lot more expensive.

·
Registered
965 Posts
psykoyow said:
And the $450 that I "didn't have" for a steering damper is money I should've found.

-yow!
Dude, I hear ya.. I just found the $$ I "didn't have" to get one myself. It's one worthwhile purchase for the old Visa, thats for sure..

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Hope you heal up fast. I had one as well at the track that knocked me down. Course I too was waiting till X-mas to get the damper. That turned out to be a good idea.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't remember the speed at which I was travelling. I assumed 75-80 when giving out the story including as much detail as I could remember or make up with at least some certainty. I was saying 75-80, probably, just because I know that's how I usually drive. However, a witness told a good friend of mine that I wasn't driving "fast", but was most likely doing the speedlimit (55mph). So, that's cool.

Ya'll definitely need to invest in the steering damper. I WISH I had gone ahead and dropped off that $450. Waiting til Christmas was like me. I intended to wait until a convenient time this summer to buy one. I should've already done it, period.

I also admonish you all to pray before you ride, every single ride. I pray for safety, nearly everytime. I don't know that it's a coincidence or not, but it's interestingly peculiar that the 4 wrecks that I have had (two of which were quite serious, including this most recent ones) happened on rides when I forgot to pray. However, I know of hundreds of close calls and escapes on rides where I did in fact pray for safety and the Lord's guidance.

Praise Him,
Eric Yow

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
psykoyow said:
I also admonish you all to pray before you ride, every single ride. I pray for safety, nearly everytime. I don't know that it's a coincidence or not, but it's interestingly peculiar that the 4 wrecks that I have had (two of which were quite serious, including this most recent ones) happened on rides when I forgot to pray. However, I know of hundreds of close calls and escapes on rides where I did in fact pray for safety and the Lord's guidance.
correct me if i'm wrong...doesn't the word "admonish" mean to punish?

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Mike Handler said:
scary my steering damper fell off after honda serviced the bike. bolts were loose & I cant prove it.
Hope you feel better
Evil service technicians.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts