Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.. so I room a long ride about 100miles non stop.. I accidently went off a curb scrapped a little but no physical damage.. when I stopped took my helmet off bike was still running and is tapping .. any clues as to why.. I changed the oil less than 1000 miles ago..

Sent from my MB860 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
timing chain tensioner? how many miles??

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Has almost 18k.. got the bike a little over 16k.. not sure what all maintenance was done before I got it.. I was thinking maybe a valve adjustment?

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
could be does the noise go away as you rev it? what you can do is take a long screw dryer put it to the side of the block (chain side) near the timing chain tensioner and listen for the noise put your ear on the end of the screwdriver thats if you dont have a stethoscope ....also put it on the top of the valve cover and listen

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know it's definitely on the chain side cause I thought I heard when riding so I leaned down on both sides and its definitely the chain side ..but it sounds like its kind of high ip on the bike... am I in any danger of hurting the bike because I still have to go to my class tom and then go home (100m)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I let it cool down while I ate finner n I just started it back up n it sounds like it has gone away as of now or at least quieted down alot

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
sounds like the tensioner is going... ifs it jumps timing youll be in a bad spot

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea I figured that seeing its the same in a car.. but any way too tell how long it will last n should I just take it easy tomorrow

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Someone plz assure me I will make it home tom.. lol

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So this tapping sound seems to be happening when the bike is over 200 degrees and goes away slightly when the clutch is pulled all the way in.. but when below 180 no tapping

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rosella T6.. not 100% sure of the velocity I believe its 5w40

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So im just going to take it to the shop and have them put a new timing chain tensioner and valve adjustment hopefully that takes car of the noise

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
untill its consistent i wouldnt do anything unless it happens everytime at that point.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its fairly consistent so ill just do it now that way over the summer I shouldn't have to worry about it

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I pulled my fairings off and the tapping seems to be coming more from the exhaust .. I have had a couple people who work on vehicles listen to it and all say sounds like the motor is fine and its just a rattle somewhere.. any suggestions

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
If it's an 07+ bike, have a look at the exhaust valve... might be a bit loose and knocking around in there.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Its an 06.. but if there's something of that nature on the 06 let me know ill try anything at this point

1 - 20 of 24 Posts