Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do i still have to pay the tax for a used bike purchase?

i was filling some kinda forms i got from my local mva and it was mentioning something about taxes..

say, if i purchase a used bike on ebay, i'll still have to pay for the tax when i register it???

C

·
0 Posts
Yes. When the title transfers, it depends on what the seller writes for the sale price. If he's cool, he'll write like $1000 rather than $7000 or whatever it is. When I bought my F4i, I paid $5000, but the guy wrote $1000 so I paid tax on the $1000.

·
Registered
327 Posts
i brought a F4i from my friend just two weeks ago and he wrote down $400 dollars.. soo i paid like ~30 dollars on tax. Why should I give the government money for buying something used?? bastards

·
Registered
327 Posts
nope.. they didn't say a thing. Who are they to say I didn't pay 400 dollars for it? Its a private sale, and my friend can vouch that I paid 400 bucks for it. And I wrote it down as POOR condition.

C

·
0 Posts
Roadkill said:
Wouldn't the DMV inquire as to why you got the bike so cheap when they are processing your title?
Its not for them to worry about your personal transaction. Though I have heard that sometimes they do RED FLAG things that look VERY suspicious.

·
Registered
422 Posts
in my situation- we will be doing the title transfer and all at the DMV... i plan on giving him 6K for the bike, how much tax should i pay if he writes in the full price (which would be kinda lame)....

·
Registered
327 Posts
well depends on your sales tax.. where are you located? What do you normally pay on tax for things you buy in a store. I know here in ny the tax rate is at a whoooooping 8.65%.. Ridiculous .. anyways.. Just ask the guy kindly not to write that much, most people don't care at all. B ut some people are anal, so you know how the world works. But I wouldn't write down more than $1000 for the bike. good luck.. let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I heard that if you write $500 or less for a rather recent vehicle (2 -3 year old), the DMV sends you out a form to explain why a vehicle your purchased was so cheap. You just write that the car/bike needs work done.

·
Registered
87 Posts
my dad sold my car to me for one dollar (he gave it to me)
my buddy got a car from his uncle, he purchased for $1

They didnt say anything, it is common practice.

·
Registered
212 Posts
direct family works like that but non-direct can be alittle more iffy, here in connecticut when you trasfer under 500dollars within 3 years of the current date you get a nice little letter in the mail asking why. (someone else said this already but i know for sure) the letter is basicly really really dumb it say stright out why you bought the bike for this price and it even goes into what you PLAN on doing with it. I know a friend that almost screwed himself doing this when he put the bike was in fair and not poor so they red flaged him and he got a letter in the letter he wrote that the seller had bought the bike in cash (witch he did) and that he was really short on money and needed it asap and was going to buy the bike back when he had the money. DMV gave him alot of crap for it but it worked i guess.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
wtchtwr said:
my dad sold my car to me for one dollar (he gave it to me)
my buddy got a car from his uncle, he purchased for $1

They didnt say anything, it is common practice.

Family transfers are a little different. Alot easier without extra fee's.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hmm.. the seller is willing to put down whatever i want. how much should i asked so that i won't get redflagged??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts