Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never had this happen to me but i've been thinkin about it. Im 34 and have been riding on and off since 14. Took the MSF course a few months ago and remember the instructor telling us never to back off the rear brake while locked up or else the bike will shoot out at the direction its headed. I supposed he was talking about if it happens at high speed? IF thats true and your on the highway doing 70 and you lock up the rear, do you come to a stop and risk getting rear ended?

Can some one with experience clarify this for me?

Joecey

·
Registered
696 Posts
From what Ive heard thats for lower speeds for sure if you lock up rear brake its very controllable 15-25. But it seems like the faster you go it is harder to lock up rear brake (dont ask) so you could probobly just slow to a stop without causing an accident

·
Registered
116 Posts
You aren't supposed to let off the brake because if the front and rear wheels are out of line when you release the rear brake you'll go into a tank slapper. At low speeds this is controllable (sometimes) , at highspeeds if you're not straight you're screwed.

·
Registered
812 Posts
You can get the bike straight and let the brake go.

The bike will usually go side to side so it's a matter of timing.

Release the rear brake just prior to vertical cause it takes a second for the wheel to spin up to speed.

It you let her go with the rear swung to one side, the bike will pitch you off over the bars (highside) and the bike may endo.

You can lock the rear at speed BUT don't try it. Use a dirt bike or a bicycle.

·
Registered
58 Posts
the dynamics of a high-side:

back wheel loses traction
attitude of the bike changes relative to direction of travel
back wheel regains traction
bike attempts to proceed in new direction of travel, rider continues in initial direction
bike and rider part ways

in my experience it doesn't matter whether your back-end breaks free because of too much power or too much brake... the only real difference is that the moment at which you regain traction could be more violent during acceleration than braking...

if it locks, try to ride it out

ima

·
Resident Leg-Humper Females Beware
6,874 Posts
bike and rider part ways
heh good wording... i would also ask/add if it's helpful to pull the clutch in and disengage power to the rear wheel in this event? seems that would stop the bike from shooting the opposite way when traction is back

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
BackStreet said:
You can get the bike straight and let the brake go.

The bike will usually go side to side so it's a matter of timing.

Release the rear brake just prior to vertical cause it takes a second for the wheel to spin up to speed.

It you let her go with the rear swung to one side, the bike will pitch you off over the bars (highside) and the bike may endo.

You can lock the rear at speed BUT don't try it. Use a dirt bike or a bicycle.
:Stupid: j/k BackStreet. :mrgreen:

I totally agree with BackStreet here. And I think what your instructor was referring to was if the bike was at a lean don't let off the brake. Definitely straighten the bike up before getting out of the slide.

Tim

·
Registered
334 Posts
The rear would step out and you could easily highside at that speed. Using the rear brake at high speed is not recommended at all unless you're extremely experienced. At very slow speed, if you use it smoothly you can modulate the speed of the bike very well ;-)

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Just don't use the rear brake unless you're planning on coming to a complete stop, or you really know what you're doing (racers, vets). It is simple weight transfer. When you decelerate the weight, and therefore traction, shift foward. This lightens up the rear wheel, lessening traction and making a slide much more likely.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts