Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a used 2009 slip on akrapovic for my 2007.Knowing that the midpipe is different,and I may have some problems I was wanting to know how I can tell which material the midpipe is made of?(owner had no idea) in case I have to have a bracket welded onto it suit it matching up with the2007 frame mount.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
You should be able to mount that up just fine without adding a new bracket. Many people have done it without issues, myself included. I currently have an 09-12 slip-on on my 08.

Odds are that midpipe is stainless thought if you really want to change the bracket.

·
Registered
195 Posts
A good welder will be able to tell easily. But it's probably stainless as other people have said.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
The discoloration of titanium is much more intense as it heats up with exhaust systems. Stainless pipes tend to stay looking bronze colored, while titanium will turn blue, gold, purple, pink and you might even spot tiny blotches of green around welds. Not all stainless steel is nonmagnetic, titanium is though. If you can get a magnet to even slightly attract, you'll know right away it isn't titanium. You can try around the welds too, where the alloys break up more. You can also heat it up with a torch, compare the color patterns you get with stainless tubing and titanium, the actual crystallized surface of the titanium has a much larger oxide spectrum of colors other than bronze blue and purple.

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Good info above. Also titanium would be much lighter than stainless steel.. Surprisingly lighter than it appears.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Hit one of the ends that you will not see mounted with a grinder. Sparks will be white(ish) if it is titanium. Any 13-8, 15-5 or 17-7 stainless will give off orange/redish sparks.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tried the magnet on the midpipe and it does have a minimal attraction (not as much as a piece of steel) Then tried the magnet on the muffler which I know is titanium and zero attraction at all.Might as well been a piece of wood! So my question is answered in that the midpipe in stainless steel.I`m glad about that as should I need (or want) to have a mounting tab welded on the 2009 midpipe to make it fit my 2007 frame I am guessing that a welder will have an easier job tig welding stainless as opposed to titanium.Thanks for all the help guys.Looking forward to spring to get this pipe on!

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
Could be usefull...

A magnet would attract chromed parts but not Stainless steel...

IDK how would it react to Titanium...
Chromed plated steel isn't stainless steel; stainless steel is steel with a chromium content over 10% or something like that...It'll attract a magnet, but lightly since there isn't a lot of iron to do the attracting.

Titanium doesn't stick at all.

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Chromed plated steel isn't stainless steel; stainless steel is steel with a chromium content over 10% or something like that...It'll attract a magnet, but lightly since there isn't a lot of iron to do the attracting.

Titanium doesn't stick at all.
I know... Chromed can be any cheap metal, that is why they hook good to the magnet.

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Bingo; iron is cheap, and not in demand like aluminum which can be polished anyway...iron is what's magnetic.
Years and years of selling truck wheelcovers (lorry hubcaps for the brits!)... Both chromed or Stainless... I've learnt my lesson!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts