Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lowsided at a trackday two weeks ago and hadn't run the bike until this morning. Bike went down on it's right side.

The bike sat for two weeks, no apparent fluid leaks. Oil and coolant seemed to be at proper levels.

This morning while riding to work, the temperature seemed to climb at an extremely fast rate, topping out at 270. Luckily I was close to my dealership and made it in. After parking there are still no apparent leaks, fluids are at proper levels, coolant wasn't shooting everywhere and the radiator cap was still on with no leakage. Fan works fine. The techs will look over it shortly. I was wondering if anybody knows what the issue could be.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i dont mean to thread jack but how can you find out for sure if you have air in the coolant lines? wouldn't the bubbles work their way out of the system eventually through the overflow? just curious

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
You should 'burp' the system, the procedure for doing so is in your service manual.
Once you go through and burp it, there wont be air in there regardless of whether or not there was to start with.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Oh and no it wont come out your overflow cause it just compresses without the pressure getting high enough, which is also what causes it to overheat, cause it cant build pressure it just boils.

D

·
0 Posts
i dont mean to thread jack but how can you find out for sure if you have air in the coolant lines? wouldn't the bubbles work their way out of the system eventually through the overflow? just curious
The radiator cap basically seals off the overflow from the cooling system until pressure reaches a point to open the valve on the cap.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
was the radiator damaged? my roomates rr has a crushed radiator that didnt leak from being wrecked...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is why I'm hot

I checked the fluid before I left the house. It was fine. I did not check the coolant level after I had gotten to the shop. Had I done so, I would've seen that it was extremely low. The previous owner of the bike had JB welded a small crack on the right side of the radiator (same side I went down on) close to the mount that the radiator pins to the ram air.

On the way to the shop, the fluid must've leaked out. I asked the shop foreman if he thought the bike really did get to 270 degrees. He said it very well may have. But I didn't roll-in in a ball of flames and the bike runs just fine now.

My shop re-welded the crack. For now it no longer leaks. Hopefully it'll hold until I can afford a new radiator.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts