Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The temp is usualy at 180 while riding around 55mph. But when I'm at a light it will keep rising. The fan comes on at 120 degrees but it continues to rise. Even if I shut the motor off and leave the fan on it still rises. Anything I can do? I was. About to get the royal purple ice the other day but I wanted to get some advice.

·
Registered
444 Posts
how high does it get, and what are you mods? I only have a slip on and it's normal for it to get to 220degrees, if i'm idling for awhile at a light. Once i start moving it drops back down to 170-180 or so even on a pretty hot day.. I've never used royal purple in my bike but it worked well in my turbo srt4..

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it will keep rising. its been to 130 before and it will keep going if i let it

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
:+1:

How high is it getting? Your good to at least 240, start worrying at around 245 you don't want the bike running and the engine above 250...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okay i will keep an eye on it. i may put the purple ice in anyway

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
on the 2nd to last post i put it got up to 130 degrees i meant 230

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
on the 2nd to last post i put it got up to 130 degrees i meant 230
230 is high, but its note likely to cause damage, just fyi

there are a few of us that are struggling with this problem, and im out of funds to continue with my search right now

·
Registered
165 Posts
A simple coolant flush should help the problem. My first bike had this issue when I bought it used. All I did was flush the coolant, replace it with new, and that fixed the issue. Its fairly simple to do yourself as well..

To be more specific.... 2003 R6, bought with 12,000mi, probably never had coolant changed before

Before:
While moving it would stay around 180-185F (depending on air temperature)
Idle (at stoplight for example) it would quickly shoot up to 230-240F and hover around 240F if left

After Flush:
While moving it would stay around 165-170F (depending on air temperature)
Idle it would eventually reach 220-230F and hover around 230-235F if left

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mine is a 03 600rr. im am going to change the coolant. and see what happens thanks

·
Registered
165 Posts
mine is a 03 600rr. im am going to change the coolant. and see what happens thanks
If you have any problems or questions just let me/us know. We may be able to help you out!

Also, I plan on changing my coolant in my "new-to-me" 03 in the near future so if you find out anything interesting or run into any issues it would be nice to hear.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
A simple coolant flush should help the problem. My first bike had this issue when I bought it used. All I did was flush the coolant, replace it with new, and that fixed the issue. Its fairly simple to do yourself as well..

To be more specific.... 2003 R6, bought with 12,000mi, probably never had coolant changed before

Before:
While moving it would stay around 180-185F (depending on air temperature)
Idle (at stoplight for example) it would quickly shoot up to 230-240F and hover around 240F if left

After Flush:
While moving it would stay around 165-170F (depending on air temperature)
Idle it would eventually reach 220-230F and hover around 230-235F if left

i wish it were that easy for me

i have done a normal flush with standard coolant 50/50 mix
i have done straight distilled water
i have done distilled water + water wetter
I have done engine ice
i have replaced radiator cap
i have replaced thermostat
i have replaced my fan
i have ran prestone radiator flush through the system ... 6 times...
i have ran prestone radiator restore through the system (bigger bottle, longer run time, 2 weeks in system), flushed and refilled with distiller water + water wetter
i have now used seafoam to break up any carbon deposits that may have existed which would have caused higher compression thus higher heat

and yet it will still climb to 240+

im really getting concerned that it may be a very small crack in my headgasket :/

·
Registered
45 Posts
I recently had over heating problems so I flushed the coolant, then burped the bike and it's running fine now.

Before burping it, the bike hit up to 250 F and the light came on. My fan kicked on at about 240.

·
Registered
165 Posts
i wish it were that easy for me

i have done a normal flush with standard coolant 50/50 mix
i have done straight distilled water
i have done distilled water + water wetter
I have done engine ice
i have replaced radiator cap
i have replaced thermostat
i have replaced my fan
i have ran prestone radiator flush through the system ... 6 times...
i have ran prestone radiator restore through the system (bigger bottle, longer run time, 2 weeks in system), flushed and refilled with distiller water + water wetter
i have now used seafoam to break up any carbon deposits that may have existed which would have caused higher compression thus higher heat

and yet it will still climb to 240+

im really getting concerned that it may be a very small crack in my headgasket :/
How long are you sitting at idle for that to happen? Because i'm sure my R6 probably would've jumped that high if I were at a loong red light or something.. I just don't remember.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
any stop puts me @ 230+

200 - 210 while riding generally...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Also, how would a crack in a head gasket cause overheating problems? (I like to learn :thumbup:)

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
oh, and to add to my list of i haves...

i have verified the oil system to be in full spec, both pressure and clearances in the drive system

i have replaced the water pump

and i have inspected all hoses for signs of cracks and or bulges.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
Also, how would a crack in a head gasket cause overheating problems? (I like to learn :thumbup:)
very small air leak into the cooling system (120+psi air will pass through a smaller hole than say 15psi water) so it could be a "one way" leak,

any ways, air gets into the water jackets, creates air pockets, and thus you can never fully burp the system

·
Registered
165 Posts
any stop puts me @ 230+

200 - 210 while riding generally...
That's definitely not good.. This is probably out of my knowledge base, I wish I could help you out though :sad:

I'll ask around and see if any of my friends could think of anything. You've done everything I would've thought of already though.

Edit: These may be stupid, obvious things but do you have aftermarket fairings that may be blocking some of the normal air flow? And how hard do you ride?.. I know when I rip on mine the temp stays higher. Doubt either of these apply, but random things that popped into my head.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts