Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gauge does not read the engine temp.. i just got a new front sub harness and it still does the same thing. my fan does turn on tho so i know its getting the temp. is there somewhere to look after the fan that there could possibly a short.?

·
Registered
254 Posts
What year is it?
05-06, the temp gauge goes to the gauge cluster, and then another wire from the cluster activates the fan relay.
Ergo the temp signal is reaching the cluster and being interpreted correctly by the processor... and the relay wire out is fine too...
Which basically means that your LCD is shot. Does it display anything? E.g. dashed line like when you start it cold? Or just blank?

Probably some BCD-7seg little driver chip in there that popped - you could always hook a meter up to the temp signal coming in, to verify all of this.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
What year is it?
05-06, the temp gauge goes to the gauge cluster, and then another wire from the cluster activates the fan relay.

Fan relay is controlled by an active low output on the ecu (pin 20 on the black plug), ect sends its signal to both the ecu and the gauges so the issue either lies in the piece of wire between the ect and the gauges or its the gauges that are stuffed.

First thing is to pull the plug off the back of the gauges and the front harness plugs, inspect for corrosion and put a little contact cleaner on them and see how you go.

If that doesn't do the trick then get a multimeter and test the resistance of the wire from the ect to the gauges and if its all good then you need new gauges.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What year is it?
Ergo the temp signal is reaching the cluster and being interpreted correctly by the processor... and the relay wire out is fine too...
Which basically means that your LCD is shot. Does it display anything? E.g. dashed line like when you start it cold? Or just blank?

Probably some BCD-7seg little driver chip in there that popped - you could always hook a meter up to the temp signal coming in, to verify all of this.
It's an 03. On start up it shows the test and it goes all the way up and back down.. then once it's started it just shows the dashed lines.

Fan relay is controlled by an active low output on the ecu (pin 20 on the black plug), ect sends its signal to both the ecu and the gauges so the issue either lies in the piece of wire between the ect and the gauges or its the gauges that are stuffed.

First thing is to pull the plug off the back of the gauges and the front harness plugs, inspect for corrosion and put a little contact cleaner on them and see how you go.
So i would have to unwrap all the wires basically to see if there is a short or not.? i just bought a new front wire harness and it still does the same thing. so im sure it would have to be a wire in the main harness.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Use a multimeter to check the harness, just unplug it at the gauges and measure the resistance between the green/blue wire on the gauge plug and the green/blue wire at the ect. If its an open circuit then you know what your problem is.

If it fine then you may need new gauges.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts