Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Track BOTY 2011 :)
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I did a forum search on this topic but I didn't find anything specifically the same so i thought I'd ask.

My clocks are USA clocks, as when I had the bike it was damaged and the clocks were missing. Replacment clocks were cheapest from USA so bought them on eBay.

Anyway, ever since I have had them, the temperature readout has been set default to F. Now I know how to change it to C no problem - It's now in my startup routine - but I wanted to know if it is possible to actually set the clocks to default straight to C? I'd like to not have to fiddle with the buttons each time I fire up the bike.
And no I don't want to leave it in F before you ask - I'm British and don't get Farenhiet lol.

I've searched the web and in the owners manual & service manual but got no luck with it. Can anybody help at all?

Tom

·
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry no you mis-read my question. I know how to change it no problem, and have been doing so every time I start the bike as long as I've owned it.
The problem for me is it every time I turn off the bike it resets to a default which is Faranheit. I want to change it to default to Celcius so I don't have to do the button dance each time I start the bike.

Cheers,

Tom

·
Super Moderator
6,497 Posts
Tom, I sent Nico a message to see if he's got any advice. I'm sure he'll find something for you.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Well mate, having never played with a US set of gauges I've no idea if it defaults back to F but I'd be surprised if that were the case...

Does your clock (time) stay set when you turn the bike off?

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Then you're buggered. The only reason I can think of for it to reset is if there was an issue with the power feed, but if you retain everything else that's not gonna be the case.

BTW, anything under 220 is good. 180-200 is ideal, over 220 and you're about to boil the coolant, 225 and your goose is cooked.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Well as per your question I have no help for you there..... but good news is we can teach you to read °F.

Basically your temp. Gauge will begin reading once the bike gets somewhere around 98°F.

Coolant begins to flow when the bike hits around 180°F which normally brings it back down to 160°F, which it will then heat up.

Normal operating temps are about 170°-190° depending on how hot or cold it is (And mind you it doesn't get much below 10°F, then around 100°F in the summer).

Whilst sitting at a stop-light your temp may get as high as 222°F, which is when your fans kick in until they bring the bike back down to 212°F.

Being you live so far North of me I would say average HOT temps might get to 222°F. I personally have seen as high as 235°F. Temp gauge stops at 256°F and will start flashing which is when you would want to get it looked at.

Hope this helps, and I will check further into your problem, and/or come up with a system to help you convert °F to °C easier.

Galaxy S3

·
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers guys,

So what happens to your USA spec clocks? When you change from F to C and turn the bike off, does it stay on C when you start up?

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Cheers guys,

So what happens to your USA spec clocks? When you change from F to C and turn the bike off, does it stay on C when you start up?
My bike was from Cali... I bought her in Spain...

It came with F/MPH measures... I changed it to C/KMH...

If I turned the bike down (no key, kill switch on or off) the panel would keep C/KMH

Only if I removed or disconected the battery it would go back to F/MPH...

Mine was an 2003!

Reactions: TOMT-03

·
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmmm

Ok, that's interesting. I've got my ignition bypassed to a handlebar switch and the HISS system (UK Spec Bike) hidden away inside the bike with the transponder and chip together.

I'm wondering if for some reason then the bike ECU is thinking that the battery has been disconnected when the ignition switch is off? Nice little lead there Soponcio thank you. That might mean a bit of further investigations.

Thanks I'll let you know how I get on.

In the meantime, could somebody please have a look on their USA spec machine to see how it behaves? Would like to know if removing the battery while in Celsius/MPH mode reverts it back to Farenheit/KMH mode. OR if just the ignition alone causes this to happen please.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
The setting is in the gauges, has naught to do with the ECU. The battery thing is why I asked if your clock was resetting.... if it doesn't reset then the gauges still have their power from the battery to preserve memory.

·
BOTM Winner 07/16
880 Posts
Tom Have a look at this wiring diagram http://www.dominic-winkler.ch/CBR/Schaltplan CBR 600 RR 07.jpg

On the set of cables that are going to the gauge:
The Batt (+) White/Green should have constant 12V even when the bike is off and key is out
The Ign (+) White/ Black should only get 12V when ignition is on

Is the Batt(+) doesn't get constant 12V; that would be reason why the setting keep resetting itself (as per Nico)
And you'll need to rewire the HISS bypass to allow for the constant 12V

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
HISS is controlled by the ECU, in fact there is separate circuitry and an extra EPROM in the ECU for HISS and it's otherwise identical to the american ECU. It's completely separate to the gauges, there is only a signal line going to them for the HISS light.

If that battery line were the cause of the problem his clock would also be resetting every time the bike is turned off, which it isn't.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Just walked outside to my bike, '08 U.S. model original gauge cluster.

I changed the temp to C from F. Turned the key off, turned key back on and it came back with C displaying. I did the same for MPH and KPH with the same results. Interesting problem you have, I wish I could help more but I know very little of how these clusters work.

·
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hmm thanks guys I'm going to double check the clock and see if it does reset. I didn't actually check when I said and it's covered up on the clocks with a label anyway so I wouldn't be used to seeing it resetting if you see what I mean.

Will get back to you :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts