Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO heres the deal, I own a 05 cbr600rr which is my first and only street bike. And my best bud has been looking for a bike for a while now and theres a local 04 600rr for a good price, so i told him I'd come with him test ride it and look over it for him, since he hasn't ridden a streetbike before.

So we get there everything looks great on the bike, basicly a completly stock 04 cbr600rr with 6k miles, I think he even said it had the same from tire from the dealer... from 04.... anyways. So i take it out, and first thing I could think was, this is deffinatly not my bike. But I had to keep in mind mine is slightly modded (Exhaust, Air cleaner, 520 convers. gold chain) and the new bt016 tires and a year the 05 model.

On top of it, I was not good at relaying my experience back to him, and maybe not to you all either but im giving it a shot.
Stock 04 cbr600rr.... Seemed to have a harder time going through the rpms, felt like the power deffinatly was not on par with my bike, breaks may have felt a bit squshier, it just felt a bit rougher, throttle control seemed alright but just not the same when accelerating.

Is it clear, that the mods I have made to my bike and the year difference would make it feal like a completly different bike? I feal like I let my friend down because I was going to help make the decision but instead I feal a bit iffy about the bike, there was a slight oil leak, no drip just oil residue on the right side, bottom of the engine cover out of one of the nuts it looked like, just residue like a REALY small leak)

I hope I have no waisted your time, I know its hard to judge without riding but any feed back would be great. ALso we're in So Cal looking for a cbr600 for round 5k or less.

Thanks,
Striker......out?

·
Registered
15 Posts
SO heres the deal, I own a 05 cbr600rr which is my first and only street bike. And my best bud has been looking for a bike for a while now and theres a local 04 600rr for a good price, so i told him I'd come with him test ride it and look over it for him, since he hasn't ridden a streetbike before.

So we get there everything looks great on the bike, basicly a completly stock 04 cbr600rr with 6k miles, I think he even said it had the same from tire from the dealer... from 04.... anyways. So i take it out, and first thing I could think was, this is deffinatly not my bike. But I had to keep in mind mine is slightly modded (Exhaust, Air cleaner, 520 convers. gold chain) and the new bt016 tires and a year the 05 model.

On top of it, I was not good at relaying my experience back to him, and maybe not to you all either but im giving it a shot.
Stock 04 cbr600rr.... Seemed to have a harder time going through the rpms, felt like the power deffinatly was not on par with my bike, breaks may have felt a bit squshier, it just felt a bit rougher, throttle control seemed alright but just not the same when accelerating.

Is it clear, that the mods I have made to my bike and the year difference would make it feal like a completly different bike? I feal like I let my friend down because I was going to help make the decision but instead I feal a bit iffy about the bike, there was a slight oil leak, no drip just oil residue on the right side, bottom of the engine cover out of one of the nuts it looked like, just residue like a REALY small leak)

I hope I have no waisted your time, I know its hard to judge without riding but any feed back would be great. ALso we're in So Cal looking for a cbr600 for round 5k or less.

Thanks,
Striker......out?
Being in SoCal, I'm sure there's plenty of CBR's that dont have an oil leak. Who knows what it was though, maybe just a splash from an oil change? Anyways, I'd keep looking.

And I assume you're teaching your friend how to ride? Take it easy on him till he gets used to it :)

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
It's not really the same bike. They changed quite a bit on the 05 models from the 04.

The 05 saw a much stouter midrange, inverted forks, chassis changes, better brakes and they made it lighter.

·
Registered
857 Posts
i dont know. i have been on a few different bikes and i always feel like this at nothin. but i think it is just that i aint really on it like its my own. just a thought.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
is the weight difference between the 04 and 05 that noticeable? and the power?

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
yea you're about right...Honda claims it was a 9lb loss in weight but magazines weighed both and came to a 15lb loss in weight and some even said 20 (which I doubt)

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I have an '04 with a fair amount of mods (see below). i've ridden a buddy's '05 and i preferred mine. i f-in love my '04! i think what you were feeling more than anything was the lack of mods. i have a stompin' low and midrange on mine. pipe, filter, dyno-tuned PCIII.... makes all the difference in the world! as for his braking, SS lines, vesrah pads and motul 5.1 fluid make all the difference in the world...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts