1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Texas Opens Door to Upping State Speed Limit to 85

New limit would be nation's fastest

Posted by Joshua Condon Thursday, April 07, 2011 11:17:05 AM
Texas' House of Representatives has approved a new transportation bill that would allow the state's DOT to raise the maximum state speed limit to 85 miles per hour -- which would be the highest speed limit in the nation.

The legislation remains contingent on traffic and engineering studies, of course. And it's a win-win: It gives that certain demographic that loves starting every conversation with "well, the way we do things in Texas is ... " yet another reason to crow, and it allows me to get away from them that much faster when I once again find myself in the Lone Star State.

Link:

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs/autosblogpost.aspx?post=03b9b760-8d13-4aa2-873b-74802c96243c

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Everyone here on Arkansas already travels 80 when the limit is 70. So why not?

·
Premium Member
3,017 Posts
Doesn't matter cause in Texas you inevitably get stuck behind the two vehicles side by side doing about 50.
Yes you do, and it is the most annoying thing ever.

·
Registered
728 Posts
You will now be stuck behind someone going 50

Then some jerk in a SUV or HUGE Pickup will cut you off to get behind the guy in front of you going 50 .. oh wait that happens every day

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
here in NYC and LI we are stuck with a 50-55 speed limit on our highways. I must say cops are pretty lenient, not ticketing you if you're going up to 20mph over. But still, must be nice to cruise at 90mph on the highways in Texas.

·
Registered
97 Posts
lol around the dc/md/va 495 beltway the speed limit is 55 and i tend to do about 80 in the car when traffic allows, and 85 on the bike. most other sportbikes you see woosh fly by me even at those speeds.
you even see cars doing faster than that sometimes. but usually i find the left lane curises at around 70-80

·
Registered
114 Posts
Everyone here on Arkansas already travels 80 when the limit is 70. So why not?
Which would also likely mean if it the limit was 85, everyone would be doing 95-100 mph

I think raising the limits to 85 is a bad idea. Luckily, I doubt Pennsylvania would ever consider it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Texas Opens Door to Upping State Speed Limit to 85

New limit would be nation's fastest

Posted by Joshua Condon Thursday, April 07, 2011 11:17:05 AM
Texas' House of Representatives has approved a new transportation bill that would allow the state's DOT to raise the maximum state speed limit to 85 miles per hour -- which would be the highest speed limit in the nation.

The legislation remains contingent on traffic and engineering studies, of course. And it's a win-win: It gives that certain demographic that loves starting every conversation with "well, the way we do things in Texas is ... " yet another reason to crow, and it allows me to get away from them that much faster when I once again find myself in the Lone Star State.

Link:

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs/autosblogpost.aspx?post=03b9b760-8d13-4aa2-873b-74802c96243c
I actually concur with increasing the speed limit. Compare how many accidents we have on US streets oppose to the streets of Europe, the specifically Autobahn. America would do a whole lot of justice to her nation if all highways increased their speed limit; however, anyone going the speed limit and/or hogging the left lane slowing down faster moving vehicles should be ticketed and receive a hefty fine. That will keep all the grandpas & grandmas on city streets, one would like to hope anyway.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Glad im moving there after grad school :)

·
Premium Member
3,017 Posts
Its going to be horrible if they actually pass this. 99% of the drivers here in Houston already drive with their head so far up their ass in the first place that this will just lead to more wrecks. I would rather them throw the money at a driving test that is actually worth a sh!t.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Yeah great, Now all the lunatics that are doing 85 in a 65 already are going to be going a 100 in an 85. Yeah real cool. Ill hang out in the slow lane at 62mph.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts